My hedgehog won't stop scratching! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2017, 11:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default My hedgehog won't stop scratching!

Hello! I am new to the forum and I am seeking advice from any knowledgeable hedgehog owners. Hadley is 6 months old, and I have had her for 4 months. For the past two months she has had extremely dry skin (big flakes falling off) and has been itching like crazy (waking me up about every hour in the middle of the night from the constant scratching). I tried flax seed oil in her food, applying vitamin E oil to her skin, and placing a humidifier beside her cage, but nothing seemed to help. One morning I woke up and noticed that she had scratched herself so much that she was bleeding on her side, so I immediately took her to the vet the next day! The vet tested for mites, the test came back negative, but we treated for mites anyway. Also at this time, the vet prescribed her with amoxicillin (antibiotic) to heal any secondary skin infection. During this treatment, she stopped scratching, but her flaky dry skin continued to get worse. About a week after her antibiotic treatment was finished, she began constantly scratching again. I called our vet and they decided to prescribe her with fluconazole to treat any fungal infection she may have. This prescription provided the opposite results that the antibiotic did, the fungal medication cleared up her dry skin and there were no longer flakes falling off! However, she continued to scratch constantly and now her white belly hairs are beginning to fall out (not enough to leave any bald spots, but a noticeably large amount). Also, she has not ran on her wheel in four nights. I don't really know what to do, I'm just wondering if anyone else has ever experienced this? I should also mention that she is not losing a lot of quills. I want to help her get better! I keep her on fleece (washed in sensitive detergent), and clean her cage and wheel everyday! Any suggestions would be appreciated! I just want Hadley to be healthy!!

Last edited by tlpoynter; 12-08-2017 at 11:49 AM.
tlpoynter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2017, 11:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

How many times was she treated for mites? What did they use?

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2018, 10:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

She was treated for mites once with Revolution.

Old 01-12-2018, 10:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

You need to treat three times about 2 weeks between treatments. This kills any mites that hatch before they have a chance to mature and lay eggs.

Old 01-13-2018, 03:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'm sorry Nikki, I misunderstood your question. She went through the mite treatment process once, which was 3 doses of Revolution at 2 week intervals.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Ok then I would be looking at having a skin scraping done and have it cultured to see if there are any bacteria present. A plain skin scraping and looking under the microscope won't alway detect the presence so bacteria or fungi. If that comes back negative then I'd starting thinking of allergies.

Tags
dry skin, scratching

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in