Red spots on skin, help I'm scared!! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By SquirtleSquirt
  • 1 Post By Yukidama's mama

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2017, 04:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Red spots on skin, help I'm scared!!

Hi, I have a problem with my hedgehog skin. I bought a hedgehog last mouth. The owner said he had one mounth before I bought him so now he had 2 mounths.
Last mounth I fed him with hedgehog food ( from his owner ) but after I bought cat food from Royal Canin which il low in fats.
After a few days my hedgie began to scratch a lot. This scratched worried me so I started to look on his skin and I saw 3 red spots with dry flakes skin .
I don't know what are those and I'm worried to not produce pain for my hedgehog these spots.
Can these spots appared from the cat food ?
What kind of food cand I give him ?
Please help me , I need aswers from you. I will attach some photos with spots
And sorry for my english, I'm not an english person. I speak a little bit. Hope you to understand me, thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 23634875_517137485330984_1667277796_n.jpg (115.4 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 23731005_517137461997653_1348551582_o.jpg (194.4 KB, 42 views)
Milohedgiee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2017, 04:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

It's best to take him to the vet and get that checked out.
Milohedgiee likes this.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:28 AM   #3 (permalink)

Yes I know and I will do that but I'm worried because in my town this type of hedgehogs are rare and vets don't know many things about this type of hedgehogs. I found this website and I saw some sitiation like mine and I wrote my situation because I'm scared and I want to see if somone had a problem like mine .
If someone know what are these red spots please tell me and tell me how can I fix it.
Thank you for your comment!

Old 11-17-2017, 04:21 AM   #4 (permalink)

If it's relating to the skin I'm sure any vet would be familiar with general skin issues, they can also do a skin scraping if needed and check for fungal or bacteria infections. You won't be able to fix it yourself and should go to a vet asap, especially if you're worried that you're hedgehog could be in pain from them. They do look sore in my opinion, perhaps a skin irritation from new quills growing through? Does he have any bold patches too? I don't have expereince with this, it's just my opinion from the photos.

Have you bathed your hedgie at all and if so what do you use? How is your hedgehogs general behaviour, have you noticed any other changes, eating/drinking or running less?

It's always a good idea to go to a vet after bringing home your new hedghog after several weeks for a general checkup, so when you go about the spots they can have a general look at him too.
Milohedgiee likes this.
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2017, 04:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

His new quills are growing but I don't think this is the problem.
I wanted to bath him but I think is a bad idea at this moment . I never bathed him because de owner told me do not bath him until he have 2 mounths.
I think the problem is by food. I'm not sure but when I gave him cat food ( Royal Canin) after few days he started to scratch and last night I saw these spots.
In general my hedgehog is little grumpy but he is ok he play in the night he run he is active. But when I saw him scratched a lot it hurts me .
Today I will go a vet with him . I hope everything to be allright , I want to see him better.
Thank you so much for your comment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in