Does he really need a skin biopsy? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Dougpiglet

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2017, 07:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Does he really need a skin biopsy?

Ok so here is the history with my hedgehog, almost 2 year old male, I've had him for 1.5 years anyways he was loosing quills a lot and after a long time of treatment and almost going to the point of a skin biopsy (I refused for fear of the process and possible side effects on Doug) we did revolution one more time and got what I believe to have been a horrible mite infestation. (3 separate skin scrapings at 2 different vets showed no mites).

All the things that pointed to mites went away, quill loss, scaly skin, scratching, he still has those a tiny bit but all within normal ranges shedding etc. I took him back to the vet for a check up and she contacted an expert for me (we don't have any near by) and he recommended a few changes beard dragon food along with low fat dog food (which i know hedgehogs have choked and died on) he didn't really like the idea of cat food which I have done a ton of research on and all owners usually feed cat food or hedgehog food.

Doug is still really bald from the mites he is slowly growing in quills only a few at a time and I don't think he will ever get a full coat again but it doesn't seem to bother him at all, so if i have a happy, healthy, fat (I'm working on that) and slightly bald hedgehog do I need to do anything? I'm pretty sure mites can do lasting damage to their skin and prevent regrowth in the future.

(I took him to the vet many many times for his quill loss Doug was looked after as best as we could and was taken as soon as we noticed a problem to the vet. he is happy and does not seem to notice his quill loss at all)
Dougpiglet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2017, 09:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

What brand of cat food are you feeding? I'm curious why he thinks dog food would be that much better than cat food...the main difference is that dog food is usually lower in protein, bigger sized, and doesn't have taurine added. And bearded dragon food is a new one... Did he say what kind or why?

Being bald of quills itself isn't really a major issue for them, so if the health issue itself is resolved, you don't have to worry too much about it. Just keep an eye on his skin & whatnot. If the issues start up again, it'd be worth checking for skin infections, fungal & bacterial. My vets have done those with a sample from loose quills with dried skin attached to them, rather than needing to actually remove a biopsy sample.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2017, 09:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

First thanks for your input I'm getting all this information second hand from my usual vet who talked to the expert so I don't even know his name. Doug is on Blue buffalo weight control and Nutro Natural choice weight management Chicken and brown rice recipe. I live in Canada so accessing many of the recommended brands for hedghogs is not possible.

Doug has been checked twice for fungal infections, and checked 3 times or more for mites. The only thing they didn't really do was a fecal test not sure how common those are, but I am keeping a close eye on his skin and quill loss, along with appetite, and water intake, all that is normal.

As for the bearded dragon food I have no idea why. Sounded silly to me.
Lilysmommy and Pixel101 like this.
Dougpiglet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
bald, quill loss, regrowth, vet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in