Does my hedgehog have dry skin? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2017, 03:07 PM  

Default Does my hedgehog have dry skin?

Hi! My name is Mary, I'm new to the forum.
I'm taking care of my boyfriend's hedgehog while he is away traveling.
The hedgie is around 3 years old and I think he likes me more than he likes him
I noticed that he has some kind of dandruff between his quills. I'm attaching a couple of photos.
What do you think? Does he have dry skin or is it normal for the skin to be that way? What should I do?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7369.jpg (448.3 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7374.jpg (327.8 KB, 42 views)
Walla is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2017, 04:13 PM  

I'm not a vet, but it seems to me like the dandruff you're seeing is either mites, really dry skin, or a skin infection. I think the next step is to visit a vet and see what needs done. If it's mites, (which I would suspect) you'll want to make sure your vet uses Revolution, which is safe for hedgehogs. You'll also need to sterilize everything in the cage (scrub it down, throw away wooden items, and probably change the type of bedding you use).
ArizonaHazelnut is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2017, 06:34 PM  

Thank you so much!! It may be mites now that I think about it. I have found two quills on the floor since I got him (it has been a week) and I noticed he scratches more than usual. Also, my sister told me a few days ago that she saw "tiny bugs" where he sleeps. I'll take him to the vet as soon as I can.
Do you recommend some type bedding in particular?
Walla is offline   Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 07:03 PM  

Yeah, if there's scratching and "tiny bugs" it's probably mites. A vet should be able to get you Revolution (don't get the shot ivermectin, it can be fatal to hedgehogs, but many vets want to give it still...). You might want to search the forums for how to clean the cage...I know you have to clean the cage daily for awhile until all the mites are gone.

When I got my Hazel, I decided to use fleece liners. They're washable, and hold up well. You can sew them yourself (craft stores will run sales on fleece by the yard) or purchase them on Etsy.
ArizonaHazelnut is offline   Quick reply to this message

Tags
dry skin?, health, skin care, skin issue, skin treatment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in