Itchy Hedgie - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2012, 02:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Itchy Hedgie

I'm a new mommy. I've had my hedgie Silas for about 3 weeks now. She is very itchy. I don't see any mites on her but I'm going to get some medication for mites just in case.
I've tried oatmeal baths and that didn't do the trick. I hear there are supplements I can give her but what exactly and how much?
Also, how often is too often to clean off her poopy boots? I don't want to bother her skin by bathing her too much but then again she scratches herself furiously with poo on her feet. Wouldn't that cause an infection if she opened her skin?
Should I start with rubbing her with veggie oil or get the dry skin creams for cats and dogs at the store?
Another thing. How do I know if her tummy is too red? It is always some shade of bright pink since she's Albino but I'd like to know what is the norm tummy color and time to worry tummy color.

Thanks for your help!
SilasMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2012, 03:27 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Itchy Hedgie

It could be mites but it also might not be. What kind of bedding do you use? What's your breeder use? They commonly live in wood and wood products.
How old is she? If younger, it could just be quilling... it irritates their skin quite a lot, and can make them shake and scratch.

You don't have to give her a bath for poopy feet. If you put a quarter inch or so of water into the sink and let her run around in it, the poop will wash off. You can pat with a paper towel if some doesn't come off.

Flaxseed oil on her back and in her food can help with the dry skin and irritation.

Her belly sounds normal. The pink, tending towards red, is normal and healthy for an albino.
VolcanoView is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2012, 01:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Albino skin shouldn't be bright pink and if it is, then it is possibly irritated, or she is too warm. Since she is scratching excessively, I'd say possibly her skin is irritated. If she is on a loose type of bedding such as shavings, or carefresh, it could be irritating her. Normal albino skin is pink, but I wouldn't call it dark or bright.

With her scratching it sounds like she has mites and needs to be treated with Revolution. Using a bit of oil in the rinse water will give her a bit of relief, but if this happens to be a skin infection, the oil can make it worse.

I'd take her for a vet visit and she will probably need to be treated with Revolution and hopefully that will end the scratching.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 06:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hi!

Thanks for your replies!

She's on no pill fleece now and I adopted her from a woman who had her on the fleece as well. She's about a year old. She should be done quilling by now right?
I only put a small amount of water in the sink but she still manages to get her belly all wet. How much flaxseed do I put in her food?

Thanks so much!
SilasMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in