Crusty / Matted Fur under eye? Please help! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2017, 04:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Crusty / Matted Fur under eye? Please help!

Hi Everyone, I recently got my first hedgie, Jimi Hedgerix and am really excited. He's been with me for 4 days now and everything has gone great. I posted this originally in the eye health section, but I'm thinking it may be more of a skin issue.

The other night my girlfriend and I noticed what looks like a dried out crusty eye booger / matted fur just below his eye. I did some digging around on the forums and read that this could be left overs from adult playtime? We had a wet q-tip and I tried to rub it off but it's just still barely attached and I'm afraid to take it off completely. He didn't seem bothered by me checking it out. I'm a little worried though and hoping someone could confirm that hopefully this is what I think it is, or if it is something else that I should be concerned about!

that we were able to check it out with a q-tip, he seemed totally fine with it and did not try to squirm away. It almost looks as if you got strip in your hair and the hair got stuck together. It's as if there was a scab on your skin peeling off, but it's not totally disconnected. Half of it seems to be almost off, but a small piece is still stuck to his face? I want to be clear that I'm almost certain this isn't a scab, I'm just using that to help give readers an idea.

I have contacted a vet already and have an appointment set up for this Saturday morning.

Does anyone know if this is what I think it is? Or is it something else that I should be worried about?!

Open to any guidance/knowledge offered!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-03-22 at 1.32.50 PM.jpg (98.8 KB, 15 views)
JimiHedgerix is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2017, 06:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hello!
Just FYI, you'll want to make sure you don't post multiple threads on the same topic...it's frowned upon because multiple posts clutters up the forum.

I'm not sure what is going on with your hedgehog, but it doesn't look normal to me. It may be an injury or skin infection or something else, but you won't know without consulting your vet. Way to go on scheduling the vet appointment! I'd wait and see what they have to say, and of course arrange to go in sooner should it start to look worse, or if your hedgie's behavior changes.

Hope your hedgehog feels better soon!
ArizonaHazelnut is offline   Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in