rash on body, swollen ear with a lot of ear wax, and skin tag looking thing by his bu - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2017, 11:33 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default rash on body, swollen ear with a lot of ear wax, and skin tag looking thing by his bu

hey okay this is my first time posting on here and I decided to make an account because I've been having trouble with my hedgehog from day one

1.the first problem was that his ear is super swollen up and always has been. There is also an excessive amount of ear wax coming from that ear that dries up and sticks to his fur. I posted a picture of his ear and how much ear wax had built up after ten days because I was on a trip and couldn't clean his ear. It also bleeds sometimes too inside and now outside I guess too because theres a scab on the outside of his ear.

I have been to the vet about it and they took a sample of it and it apparently came back inconclusive.

the second time I went to the vet (for the next reason) I mentioned his ear and the vet gave me some stuff to put on his back for possible mites but it didn't seem to do anything

2. the second problem is for a little while he had this weird skin tag looking thing on his butt (check the pictures) and it would sometimes bleed which worried me because it's so close to where he poops.
That picture was from a while ago and I haven't gotten a very good look at it so I'm not certain if the skintag thing is gone but his tale doesnt stick out like it used to, it's almost as if its tucked inside his butthole?? it looks kind of sore too. I took him to the vet and they didn't do much they said they could try to remove it but didn't give me a diagnosis or anything and I couldnt get it removed because I didn't have the money to do so.

3. the problem he is having now that is new and I am extremely worried about is this rash like thing all over his body (check pictures). I don't know where it's come from and I can't tell if it's tender or not because he's naturally irritated/grumpy so I don't know if he is acting tense because of that or the rash. I'm planning on taking him to the vet asap but I just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas of what could be wrong with him.

another thing that might relate to any of these things, I'm unsure of how normal it is for them to shed quills after quilling but he loses quills regularly like if I take him out he will usually lose 1-3 quills but he doesn't look spotty so I'm not sure if thats normal or not
the quills he loses has a ball like thing at the end of them too and I remember reading something about that maybe relating to mites?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0565_1489418187687.jpg (135.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1109_1489418509280.jpg (94.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4209_1489419060883.JPG (667.8 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4208_1489419082398.JPG (680.3 KB, 42 views)
elliotthehog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2017, 11:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hopefully someone with more experience comes soon but have you taken him to a different vet? The ear thing most likely is an infection and will need antibiotics. If my vet can't figure out what to do I look for another one.
Artemis-Ichiro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2017, 04:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

I would f Be another vet as soon as possible. It could be almost anything but his ear looks abcessed and may need to be drained. I don't mean to sound rude but I don't think your vet is taking very good care of your hedgehog.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 11:26 AM   #4 (permalink)

I've been to two different vets about his ear and the skin tag thing and the first one (just for his ear as he didnt have it at this point) took some fluid stuff out of it and sent it away to be tested and it came back inconclusive and she didn't do anything else about it and that was super expensive so that was a huge waste of money

the second vet I went to I went more about his skin tag and they said they could remove it but thats about all they could do and my mom wouldn't let me do it because of all the money I had spent on him before only for it to be pointless so nothing happened there either except he gave me medication to give him incase he did have mights (he didnt actually check) and I gave it to him but it didnt change anything about the state of his ear or anything else

I havent been to the vet yet about the rash looking thing which is new but I am trying to find a new vet who will actually be able to help me and cares enough to not rip me off by making me pay all this money for him to still be like this:/:/
Old 03-14-2017, 11:34 AM   #5 (permalink)

you're not being rude, I totally agree I have spent a bunch of money on going to the vet only to have them kinda shrug it off like "eh idk but I'm still gonna take your money" and him not be treated at all and it's really horrible:/:/

I'm going to find a new vet asap and take him but I just wanted to know if anyone had experienced anything like this before

also thats what I was thinking about his ear too but the vet that took a sample out of his ear said the stuff that came out was like hard or something? that it wasn't very liquidy so idk if it can be drained. She said she could amutate it but I didn't want to do that unless I had to, if it was causing him pain versus it just being an apperance issue but she didn't tell me anything really about it so I'm basically no further ahead than before I went:/
Old 03-14-2017, 06:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

I'm so sorry you've had such bad luck with vets. If you can say where you live maybe someone here can recommend a vet in your area.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in