We're Getting Very Worried - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2017, 08:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation We're Getting Very Worried

Hey all, I made this account after reading what feels like a hundred threads about this subject without any conclusions. My mother's hedgehog - Cap'n Jack - has what appears to be a skin infection - diagnosed by a wonderful vet as a Staph infection using a strip of tape - and has been on antibiotics for almost 2 weeks once a day due to stomach upset, treated with Revolution, and put on the equivalent of Animax (topical steroid, antifungal, antibacterial) but he seems to be getting worse?

What started as mild redness that I couldn't see (I don't examine his tummy as often as I examine my own hedgehog's) and some scratching. He now has swelling in his back legs with weepy red sores and a lot of skin irritation with some sores above his man bits and along his skirt around his bum.

We use fleece bedding for both babies that we wash as they use it on two sanitize cycles. One is trained to use a water bottle and the other uses a bowl and all their bowls are cleaned weekly. They're fed chicken and rice cat food supplemented with Nutrical due to both of them being afraid of most foods. They're potty trained so they poo and pee in the sink when we get them out and on their 'playpen side' when they're not out so there is very rarely any excrement in their 'sleep side' (they have 2 huge plastic bins each connected with a soft rubber pipe).

My hedgehog gets damp, but not bathed daily and is always dried thoroughly before returning to his cube and my mom's hedgehog - the one with the skin infection - is bathed 4 times monthly with gentle, unscented, oatmeal baby soap to remove his poop boots but is always dry before returning to his cube. We also watch them very carefully for dry skin.

Her hedgehog is still eating, drinking, and running like he always does and appears like he's just itchy and a bit uncomfortable.

We're getting desperate. He's been to the vet three times already and we've been on the phone with the vet at least 7 times in between. This hedgehog is her best friend, so any hints/tips/suggestions would be wonderful.

Please help!

Thank you.
HorsesandHedgehogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2017, 08:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

Are they housed together?
twobytwopets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2017, 08:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

No they aren't! They're two little boys and hate each other. They have no interaction either.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

Ok, good. Unfortunately that eliminates one possible cause though, but wahoo on not having to tell you to fix that.
Unfortunately not all antibiotics will work on all bacterial infections. So a different antibiotic may be needed. Also additional test may be needed to give the vet more accurate information.
Do you think it's possible that part of the wounds could be self-inflicted? Maybe not initially, but currently. Remember wounds itch and generally feel bad as they are healing.
twobytwopets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2017, 09:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thank you! Yeah, we try our hardest to keep them in tip top hoggy shape. But it doesn't always work out. He is digging at his skirt a lot with his back legs and giving himself little sores, but that would't explain the sores and swelling on the back legs themselves would it? He does dig at his face when we give him his oral antibiotic and ends up wearing some of it.

We're currently giving Cap'n Jack .3 mL of Trimethoprim Sulfa once daily one the doc's recommendation since it upsets his stomach so badly. As well as lightly coating him in the triple threat ointment.

When the vet tested him, he did a scrape of his bottom which was clear. He also checked the quills for mites, which there weren't any. And he also did a taping of his belly which had a 3 count of Staph visible on it (on a scale of 0-4 with 0 being no bacteria and 4 being lots of bacteria) which is what he prescribed the initial antibiotic for. My hedgehog - Jellybean - had a zit 6 months prior that was a little pocket of Staph that cleared up on its own.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

Poor little fella... I'm sorry to hear this, it sounds painful and irratating. It sounds like your are taking great care of you hedgehog so great job. I would recommend a vet check but it seems you have already done so multiple times. I would recommend over the next few weeks that you change his bedding and food brands. I know you wash it often which is great but I can't hurt to try. Also maybe his food just isn't doing him well. Maybe it's an allergic reaction? I don't know if this helps at all but it's just an idea. Best of luck to you and your moms hedgy... I hope he gets well soon! Update us on how he is doing or if anything changes
Heggielover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2017, 10:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

What I would do is take him back to the vet and have them do a skin scraping and a culture and sensitivity test on the skin. This way they can see exactly what antibiotic is most effective against the bacteria on his skin.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
itching, scratching, skin infection

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in