Hedgehog Central  Hedgehog pet care & owner forum

Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Skin (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Help! Horrible flaking skin! (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156122)

Poppy_the_hedgie 02-12-2017 12:08 AM

12 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone. Poppy has been struggling with dry skin since I got her. She is about 10 weeks now so I am pretty sure she is done or almost done with the 9 week quilling. Today I noticed big flakes of dry skin coming off of her. I pet her back with a dark cloth and it was covered in flakes but nothing was moving. Poppy is not scratching so I don't think it is mites. I gave her an Aveeno baby oatmeal creamy wash bath so hopefully it helps. I also put some coconut oil in her food. Any other tips I can do to help my Poppy? Any idea why her skin is suddenly so bad? Thank you so much!

twobytwopets 02-12-2017 03:58 AM

Potentially you've got a few things going on. She could be quilling, they are horrible about checking calendars. Quilling does a number on their skin. The air in houses, especially in the winter is dry. Then we provide them with additional heat, cooking out additional moisture in the air. We also don't give them ways to exfoliate their skin like they have in nature. Baths will wash away all the natural oils on their skin.
That's assuming there isn't a health issue contributing to their dry skin.

So what can you do? Add moisture to the air with a humidifier. Add oils to their food. Make sure they have constant access to water. Just dry skin usually gets the wait and see approach. Keep an eye out for it getting REALLY bad, cracking, bleeding or pus looking.

nikki 02-12-2017 10:12 AM

Quilling can take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks depending on each hedgehog. It's quite common for them to have very dry skin while quilling. The suggestions given by twobytwo are great and I would try them.

Poppy_the_hedgie 02-12-2017 12:16 PM

Poppy isn't flaking as much after the bath last night but her skin is still really dry. I will continue to add oil to her food and I will try the humidifier. Thank you so much!

Shrina Rose 03-13-2017 06:18 AM

Hai! I would maybe also recommend to double check how much water she is drinking as dry skin could be a symptom of mild dehydration. I hope you little hedge's skin fixes up ^-^

bksampson 03-13-2017 09:20 AM

Help please im a new hedgehog owner, i think my hedgehog might be trying to hibernat

This weekened i was giving my hedgehog a bath like i normally do, i use johnson baby shampoo, toothbrush, i set her in the bath tub with luke warm water (i use my wrist to test to make sure its not to hot for her) when i was cleaning her quills with the baby shampoo she was drinking the water around her which had the soap in it. After the bath i took her out like normal and dried her with a towel like usual, then after i set her in her cage and she did eat a little and then she laid down and went back to bed (shes very active during the night not the day) I didnt come home until the next morning, and saw that her heater was on low (70 degrees) when i noticed her behind her wheel sleeping instead of in her trunk, she was laying open on her stomach (quills facing me) and as i picked her up she didnt hiss like she normally does when being picked up for the first time and she also curled into her ball and wouldn't uncurl at all, normal shell hiss and kinda huffs and moves then shell start to open a bit but she didnt this time. I held her and put her in front of a heater for a few min and also turned the heater to 75 degrees to warm the room up to 75, then i placed her back in her cage underneath a **** in her trunk. She also hasnt eaten or drank any water since after her bath. Please help im very scared and worried about my hedgehog.

Poppy_the_hedgie 03-13-2017 09:39 AM

It would be best to start your own thread so more people can see your question.

bksampson 03-13-2017 10:10 AM

how do i do that? im new i do apologies for posting on yours like this

twobytwopets 03-13-2017 10:35 AM

Go to this section https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/62-hibernation/

Right above the list of threads, with the very helpful stickies at the top, there is a button that says "new thread" click on that and type away.

bksampson 03-13-2017 10:52 AM

thank you!