Is this simply dry skin or worse? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2017, 06:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Is this simply dry skin or worse?

Hi guys, I recently had a hedgie given to me as a present, so I'm only learning still. I'm a very anxious owner and am looking for some reassurance here. So basically my hedgie was completely fine until last night (its monday here) I bathed her using Johnsons baby shampoo, which I read was suitable, on Thursday last. I didn't use anything else, no oils etc. Last night I noticed when I played with her skin was flaking off, there doesn't seem to be any in her bed but it's coming off on me. I haven't noticed her scratching when I watch her or play with her. I noticed about 5 quills have fallen out in the last 5 or so days, she's is about 23 weeks if that's relevant. I've read that flax oil works for dry skin. This might sound stupid but how do I apply it besides adding it to the food? Like how do you get it onto her skin through the spikes with minimal discomfort for her? I tried checking her skin for mites and I can't see anything, it looks a bit dry but I'm really not experienced with this! Obviously I know her health is priority and will visit the vet if needs be but I'm trying to avoid this where possible as I'm broke right now. I'm wondering if you guys think the bath with that particular shampoo could be the cause of this? Also, if it is mites can i catch then off of her? Thanks - I'm really worried
shee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2017, 07:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Baby shampoo is actually not recommended although it's an easy mistake to make. Baby wash that's unscented is fine, but for some reason the shampoos bug a lot of hedgehogs skin. Judging by the time frame this could definitely be what caused her skin to react.

I would hold off on the oil for now and just give her a bath in warm water. Depending on what it is the oil can make it worse.

Don't worry! I'm sure her skin will be better in no time.

Prudence's Proud Mum Since February 2016

I share my home with one, big, slobbery dog, a ragdoll, a blind domestic shorthair, a slinky tabby, one crowntail betta, a double tail halfmoon betta, and our latest quilled addition... Prudence!
Prue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2017, 07:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Baby shampoo is very drying to their skin. Aveno baby wash is much more gentle on their skin. Just for future reference mites are very tiny and you usually can only see them if it is a bad infestation.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 08:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

I was thinking of giving her another bath with Aveeno baby wash but I've read that you shouldn't bathe them too often either. So you don't think it's too soon to do that? ?
shee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in