Tattered Ears and Dry Skin - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2017, 11:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Tattered Ears and Dry Skin

My hedgehog always had dry skin but his ears were fine, recently the edges changed to a pink/purple color then started to scab over.

I have two photos from 2 days apart attached here. You can see the right ear is changing color, then later it scabs over.

What do you think is the cause of this?

He is scratching while in his wheel running - but he doesn't scratch when in his bed or out of the cage when I'm feeding him something.

Note: I made another post about how my hedgehog stopped eating his dry food, and I took him to the vet about it.
Also, I showed the vet his ears and the vet said the main focus is getting him to eat again and back to normal, so bring him back to sort out his dry skin/ears later.

I'll take him back to the vet ASAP anyway because he still isn't eating normally (only eating treats and ignoring dry/wet food).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.JPG (93.5 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg image2.JPG (106.7 KB, 33 views)
beccadango is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2017, 11:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Just a thought if he's scratching on the wheel he might have used the bathroom then transferring it to an open scratch? Maybe? Would do a deep clean on the wheel and make sure his little toes are clean. I hope he feels better soon!
Emwinn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017, 11:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

Did the vet give him any medicine? He may be having an allergic reaction to it. I am certainly not an expert but it looks to me like it could also be a skin infection. Please take him to the vet for a skin scrape/culture.
Poppy_the_hedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 11:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for your quick replies!

His ears were already starting to be tattered before he took the medicine he's taking now.

The vet that saw him did take a sample from his ears but said it's not a big deal and not bothering him so he didn't give any immediate treatment.

I might go to another vet for a second opinion.

I've been trying to check on a dark cloth if there are any mites or anything but I can't see anything moving.

So, I'll give the cage/wheel another good clean and see if I can get any help.

He just seems to suddenly have a lot of problems come up at once. He's 3 years old, by the way. And never had any health issues before now.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

Are his nails trimmed? If they are too long and he continues scratching he could be leaving dirty open wounds behind. Maybe you could try soaking a cotton ball in warm water with some coconut oil then applying it to his ears. It would atleast give some relief to the skin. But I wouldn't do this if there is any open bleeding wounds. I hope your hedgie feels better soon!
Poppy_the_hedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2017, 10:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

His nails are trimmed, so that's not a problem.

I took him back to the vet today. He had a test for mites and he doesn't have them.
The vet took samples from his ears to do a test if it's a kind of fungus or not - it will take a week or so to get results.

In the meantime I asked for some medicine to rub on his ears to treat them, so I'll update how that goes and if it is a fungal infection or not.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in