Please Help! -Details inside - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2017, 06:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Please Help! -Details inside

Sorry everyone, I don't mean to spam with posts (I started a vitamin thread a few days ago) and only post when something is wrong...but I really need some help, I'm really worried about my girl Luna.

Here's a breakdown of whats going on:
-Luna had some bald spots along her quill/belly line, with little patches of quills and fur missing. Skin was really pink
-Vet did a skin scraping and got nothing back, did a mites treatment with Revolution (something that started with an R) just to be safe, but he couldn't find any mites.
-We took everything out of her cage and deep cleaned it just in case. Tossed the bag of bedding, got everything clean just in case of mites or something.
-So no mites, no fungal or bacterial infection. We started a medicine to help with her skin and fur growing back but it seems like more is missing.
-After reading tons of forums I saw similar cases where Sunshine Factor was used and there was a diet change. So changed her food to one of the recommended list here
-Couldn't find Sunshine Factor but someone at the petstore recommended Oasis Vita Drops (for birds but so is Sunshine Factor) its very concentrated and orange

Going to give her just a warm bath to relax in tonight, no shampoo so not to dry her out. Last night I noticed a slight orange coloration in some of the bald spots, and a bit darker (like brown) coloration where bald meets quill. Not sure if its just the vitamins or what the heck is going on with my baby. To make things worse I'm moving in 10 days.. I feel like such a horrible owner but I can't afford another vet visit (last one with scrapings and testing was near $300). Just for the vet to tell me he's not 100% whats wrong even though he treats smaller animals. She's eating well and acts normal. Just the skin....

I'm so sorry for such a long post and appreciate any help I can get. Thanks everyone.
Emwinn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2017, 08:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

that vet sounds useless.Shouldn't he have some idea at least? Sounds like he's not trying hard enough..
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2017, 10:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hope this works, its not pus or gooey like an infection and i can see the tips of 2 quills poking out I believe? I just want my baby better..

Old 01-10-2017, 12:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

Oh, that poor thing. Sorry, this is outside of my scope of experience. I don't have much advice for you. Is it just that one spot? Revolution was definitely a good move as a just in case. But I don't think a mite infestation would look like that even if it was really bad. Hopefully one of the members with more skin issue experience will have some insight.
shinydistraction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2017, 12:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinydistraction View Post
Oh, that poor thing. Sorry, this is outside of my scope of experience. I don't have much advice for you. Is it just that one spot? Revolution was definitely a good move as a just in case. But I don't think a mite infestation would look like that even if it was really bad. Hopefully one of the members with more skin issue experience will have some insight.
That's the bigger side, there's a smaller patch similar on her other side, but getting a picture was hard. She just wanted to snuggle up! And I can see the tips of a few new quills so I'm hoping the medicine she was giving plus the vitamin drops are slowly but surely helping?
Old 01-10-2017, 01:03 AM   #6 (permalink)

New quills coming in are always a good sign I'll keep my fingers crossed
shinydistraction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2017, 11:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

Went to the vet to get her nails trimmed before the move. Dr. said her skin looks like its healing, there's no infection. He gave her another dose of the medicine and recommended some things for her diet to help with dry skin. So its moving in the right direction!

Tags
bald, balding, discoloration, quill loss, skin problems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in