Extremely dry skin - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2016, 08:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Extremely dry skin

Hey all,
So my little girl (now named Athena) has been with me for a week now and I've noticed she has really bad dry skin, there's flakes of dead skin on her. And just this morning I noticed she's losing quills. I found 5 on my bedroom floor when getting ready for work. I was reading up on the two on the forum and most of it was hedgehogs under one year old but Athena is almost 3 so she's not quilling. I know stress can also make hedgehogs lose quills and just moving in with me and trying to get her use to me may be making her stressed. Athena isn't scratching either and I haven't seen any mites so I'm not sure if she may have mites or not. She's also currently on iams kitten and I'm currently transitioning her onto new food but both have chicken and I'm not sure if hedgehogs are like cat/dogs but is it possible for them to be allergic to chicken? I was wondering if I should switch her to something without chicken or maybe even take her to the vets to get her checked out? Is there anything I can give her to help with the dry skin to clear it up?

kcoops is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2016, 01:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hi! So I had this problem literally five months ago with my lil boy. He had dry skin and was losing lots of quills and he wasn't quilling and he didn't have mites. I started putting a few drops of flaxseed oil on his food and every few months when bath time rolled around I would put some lavender in the tub. I live in a high desert so its not very humid and he gets dry. You can also purchase a humidifier, but I just stick with the flaxseed and lavender. Also make sure you have plenty of fresh water left out for you girl to hydrate. Hope I was helpful! XD
Salt&PepperHedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2016, 01:40 AM   #3 (permalink)

Also make sure you don't just feed her all chicken. Too much protein is bad. Switch it up with eggs, live prey, and safe fruits and veggies (If she will eat them). Take her to the vet if the dry skin persists.

Old 11-26-2016, 03:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

Awesome! Thank you so much. You were very helpful. The whole dry skin is so new to me, I was starting to panic over everything it could be. I'll have to hunt down some flaxseed oil and pray if it helps. I really hope I don't have to take her to the vet. She's such a huffy puffy girl right now I don't think the vet could touch her haha
kcoops is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2016, 01:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

You are totally welcome! I hope she improves!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in