Staph? What should I do? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2016, 12:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Staph? What should I do?

I have a 9 week old hedgehog I've had for about two weeks that seems to have a staph infection. She had a snotty nose (dried snot) and dried eye boogers when I pulled her out, and I noticed a scabby-looking lump on one of her hind legs. She's eating, drinking, urinating and defecating normally, but last night she was a little grumpier about being handled for more than an hour. I had just chocked it up to quilling and needing to pee (she's militant about her litter box!). She is on CareFresh bedding with a CHE controlled at around 75-76 degrees, and eats a breeder-provided mix of Kirkland-brand cat food and Spikes. The breeder gave her the first dose of Revolution the night before I brought little Willow home.

I have an 8 am vet appointment scheduled for tomorrow morning with a good exotics vet, but I'm really freaking out. Besides my normal spot cleaning, I don't have enough bedding to due a total overhaul of the cage tonight. When I bring her back from the vet, I imagine I should do a complete scrub down of the cage? There doesn't seem to be a ton of information online on what I should do besides take her to the vet.

There is also a second hedgehog in the house, purchased at the same time from the same breeder by my housemate. She is 11 months old and far more difficult to handle than Willow, so while she looks to be fine I'm a little concerned that something could be hiding. They also share a lot of the same items (dig box, bathing pan, etc) but do not live in the same room. Should I be asking my housemate to take her hedgie in too? There is also a cat, hamster, and bearded dragon living in the house.

Any help or advice is appreciated! My career is literally working with expensive and often sick or injured racehorses, and I always keep my cool with them, but with my own animals? Nope!
Attached Images
File Type: png willowwwww.png (718.6 KB, 29 views)
EliRose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in