Scabs under armpits? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2016, 02:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Scabs under armpits?

Hi everyone. My little girl, Quinne, is over a year old and has scabs under both of her front armpits. I don't believe it is mites; she is on fleece and has no wood in the cage, nor has she been outside. She isn't really scratching much, either. I noticed the scabs yesterday and admittedly have no idea how long they have been there. One is larger than the other. I don't think she is overweight, but I can weigh her if needed.

Before I realized it was a scab, I actually thought she had dried poo on her skin, so I gave her a bath and accidentally scrubbed one of the scabs off. My poor little girl must have been in pain the whole time; it was a pretty large chunk of skin.

That ^ was her first non-foot bath in several months. My boyfriend wonders if maybe it has been a bit too cold in my room and she is curling up more and getting bed sores? My room is a little chilly at times but she has a CHE and seems to be heated under her fleece. I suppose I can cover up the A.C. vent in my room if necessary. Otherwise I read that it might be self-inflicted or dry skin? Should I try an oatmeal bath?

I have noticed that she is using her wheel less. Should I take out the wheel until it heals?

I don't think it is infected...is there any way I can treat her at home, or should I just get her to a vet? I was planning to try to take her to the vet today but thought I would ask first, in hopes of avoiding the possibility of them charging me a whole bunch just to tell me to put ointment on it. If I should try something else before the vet, how long should I wait for it to heal before taking her in? (I am completely willing to take her to the vet, I'm just curious if there are other options to try first.)

I can't get photos now but can try to take some photos later... I just feel so horrible for her, and like a horrible hedgie mommy.

Last edited by Dayofhope; 08-29-2016 at 02:47 AM.
Dayofhope is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2016, 05:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

I went ahead and made a vet appointment for tomorrow. Is there anything hedgehog-specific I should make sure the vet knows?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Old 08-29-2016, 08:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

I would let the vet know of everything that has happened to her that seems important like when you first saw it and any weird behavior (like her not running on her wheel as much) I know that I'm not much help. I hope that she feels better and that you find out what it is soon. Best of luck!

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk
paige.alison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 09:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Okay! Are there any medications that I should make sure the vet does not prescribe for a hedgehog?

Old 08-29-2016, 10:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

The main one is ivermectin.
twobytwopets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2016, 01:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks! Quinne is actually doing significantly better. Her scabs seem to be healing nicely and she ran on her wheel last night for a while. Should I cancel or keep the appointment?

Old 08-30-2016, 01:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'd keep it. You don't know the cause.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

How likely is it that the vet will be able to determine the cause? If I keep the appointment I'm planning to take a picture of her cage so she knows the environment she is in.

Old 08-30-2016, 01:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

You'd at least be able to eliminate some causes. Often a diagnosis is made by process of elimination.
Old 08-30-2016, 04:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

I would definitely keep the vet appointment. I suggest you make a list of everything you need to tell the vet so that he or she can make an accurate diagnosis.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk
paige.alison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in