Hedgehog Central banner

Scabs under armpits?

3K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Cadlam1 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone. My little girl, Quinne, is over a year old and has scabs under both of her front armpits. I don't believe it is mites; she is on fleece and has no wood in the cage, nor has she been outside. She isn't really scratching much, either. I noticed the scabs yesterday and admittedly have no idea how long they have been there. One is larger than the other. I don't think she is overweight, but I can weigh her if needed.

Before I realized it was a scab, I actually thought she had dried poo on her skin, so I gave her a bath and accidentally scrubbed one of the scabs off. My poor little girl must have been in pain the whole time; it was a pretty large chunk of skin. :(

That ^ was her first non-foot bath in several months. My boyfriend wonders if maybe it has been a bit too cold in my room and she is curling up more and getting bed sores? My room is a little chilly at times but she has a CHE and seems to be heated under her fleece. I suppose I can cover up the A.C. vent in my room if necessary. Otherwise I read that it might be self-inflicted or dry skin? Should I try an oatmeal bath?

I have noticed that she is using her wheel less. Should I take out the wheel until it heals?

I don't think it is infected...is there any way I can treat her at home, or should I just get her to a vet? I was planning to try to take her to the vet today but thought I would ask first, in hopes of avoiding the possibility of them charging me a whole bunch just to tell me to put ointment on it. If I should try something else before the vet, how long should I wait for it to heal before taking her in? (I am completely willing to take her to the vet, I'm just curious if there are other options to try first.)

I can't get photos now but can try to take some photos later... I just feel so horrible for her, and like a horrible hedgie mommy. :(

See less See more
#3 ·
I would let the vet know of everything that has happened to her that seems important like when you first saw it and any weird behavior (like her not running on her wheel as much) I know that I'm not much help. I hope that she feels better and that you find out what it is soon. Best of luck!

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

#11 ·
Hi we are new to this thread. But you have discribed the exact same problem we are having with are new hedgehog. Could you please inform me what your vet said as we are curious if we need to also go to the vet. His behaviour is fine seems to be eating and drinking well so I'm a little confused.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.