Possible ringworm - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2016, 11:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Possible ringworm

I went on a short vacation and came back to my hedgie looking like this. If there are two of each picture I apologize, but I am very worried about her! She was not like this when I left, and i was only gone for 9 days. She is eating and drinking normal. I already phoned a vet and was told it sounds like ringworm, but I just want to know if any of you guys have experienced this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image2_1471923543730.jpg (111.4 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg image1_1471923732043.jpg (118.6 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg image1_1471923732431.jpg (118.6 KB, 59 views)
Daisysmom123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2016, 12:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

I have zero experience with ringworm, so I couldn't tell you if that's what it is or not. What I can tell you is that looks pretty nasty. Isn't there normally a topical treatment for ringworm? Is the vet going to prescribe some for you? Or are you waiting for an appointment to be seen first?
shinydistraction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2016, 10:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

It doesn't look like ringworm to me but it's hard to tell in pictures. No matter what it is she needs to be seen by a vet as soon as possible. Her eyes don't look like the eyes of a healthy hedgehog and her ear canals seem to have some discharge too.
twobytwopets likes this.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 10:44 AM   #4 (permalink)

I found a website that had three different topical treatments they used for their hedgehog but I think it was just them treating it themselves. I'm going to call a different vet today because the one I spoke to is out of town and hopefully get her seen asap
Old 08-23-2016, 10:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

I know its so horrible, I have no idea how this happened so quickly. If she looked like this when I was about to leave I wouldn't of left. I did give her a bath though, these were taken before to show to the vet, and she does look a lot better thankfully
Old 08-24-2016, 02:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

we also had the same thing happen to our baby Ellie (we went yesterday) she's got a couple of shots ( they were worried it was ringworm or a possible allergic reaction) this special shampoo and antibiotics. good luck with the vet and let us know how she's doing afterward!!!

jessj1582 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2016, 10:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

I took her to the vet on the 2nd, and the vet said she definitely has mites, but they're testing her skin sample for ringworm. She did glow the uv light on her and nothing glowed, so I'm not sure how likely it is she has ringworm. She was prescribed some medicine I have to give her every ten days, and she has a follow up appointment on the 30th.
But today, I was cleaning her cage out and noticed she has a red bump on her face. It had to of formed over night, because it wasn't there yesterday when I cleaned her cage out. I can take a picture if you guys want, but she is a very grump hog and doesn't really enjoy interaction. I'm thinking about calling my vet on Tuesday since they're most likely closed for Labor Day tomorrow, and Ill see if anything else happens in the meantime.
Old 09-04-2016, 10:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

A picture would help if you can get one. It's hard to say what it could be without seeing it.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2016, 12:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

Hey everyone, sorry I've been MIA but I've been extremely busy.
Long story short she had ringworm AND mites, took medicine for it, and it took about 2 months for her to be cleared of it.
I got the call about 3-4 weeks ago that she is cleared of ringworm, but while I was waiting for it, she started losing quills again and I thought they were going to say that she still has it, but she doesn't.
She's very lethargic now and hardly comes out to eat, she's still losing quills and I don't know what else to do. I'm not sure exactly how old she is, but I got her 2 years ago from a friend that got her from a pet store during a Christmas (not sure of year) so we put she's about 3 in the vet system, if that makes a difference; I'm not sure if this is something that happens when they age or not. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 11-22-2016, 12:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

Oh, and the bump went away on its own. It turned black and shrunk a lot

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in