No mites but still has scaly skin, possible allergy? - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2016, 08:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default No mites but still has scaly skin, possible allergy?

I have a 10 month old male Hedgehog with dry skin. I've taken Doug to a vet and he has been treated for mites and was deemed mite free by two different skin scrapings done at separate times. After he was still scaly so he was treated for a bacterial infection with antibiotics. This helped his skin quiet a bit but the dry flaky skin came back. I live in a small town so seeing an exotic animal vet isn't possible, I have been taking him to a vet who has some experience with hedgehogs and small pets but is not an expert. Taking him to an expert is out the question as it would be at least eight hours away.

The vet is going to contact an exotic animal vet for me and I should hear back on monday why he is still scaly.

Is it possible that Doug has an allergy? I'm going to list everything he comes into contact with daily below, but what are common allergy triggers for hedgehogs?

Bedding:
fleece washed with nellies all natural laundry soda. An occasional dryer sheet might be used out of habit.

Cage: is washed in Nellies one soap and a bit of dawn for his house. He has a wooden home in the cage and everything else is plastic.

Food: petcurean now adult cat food turkey flavour
petcurean now kitten food
8 in one hedgehog food
NUTRO™ WEIGHT MANAGEMENT ADULT CAT FOOD
CHICKEN & WHOLE BROWN RICE RECIPE
Fish oil to help with dry skin one tablet broken on food every few days.

Oil (to help with scaly skin poured on his back):
olive oil
and Avocado Oil, Sunflower Oil*, Flaxseed Oil*, Wheatgerm Oil blend which is made from a local company.

He has been on the petcurean adult food a little after we got him and he wasn't scaly then so my plan is to remove all other food minus the petcurean adult cat food and see if it clears up.

I don't know a lot about hedgehogs so if I am doing something wrong please let me know I am trying to learn as much as I can about the little guy but it's very hard with all the conflicting information.

Doug's cage is cleaned daily and is a 35" by 18" he is played with and exercised daily.
Dtil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in