Itchy Face and Ears? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Prue

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2016, 10:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Itchy Face and Ears?

Prudence has always been prone to dry skin, but today I noticed something a little less normal. I had her dry, itchy skin investigated by a couple of vets. Two skin scrapes determined that mites were definitely not the cause, and a fungal/bacterial infection was also ruled out. They basically told me that she had skin that was prone to becoming dry, especially during the winter months. They gave me a great spray called Humilac and a few tips for when she gets drier than usual.

Usually, I will see her have a nice, relaxing, itch while she's out. Slow, relaxed, the kind where she must be thinking "ah, that feels better!" Usually she itches her sides. If I see her itch a couple times I do a few quick spritzes of Humilac and she seems better by morning.

Today, I saw a sort of odd variation on her regular itching. Right away when I woke her up she tried to itch the side of her face and ears with her hind leg. It was kind of cute at first watching her attempt hedgie yoga, but when she did it again I got a little more concerned. She didn't look frantic or anything, but I have never seen her try to itch her face. When I took her out for a run in her playpen, she burrowed under the mat I and did a nose-dive underneath everything in(what looked like) an attempt to itch her face on the slate floor below. I gave her a spray of Humilac, but since you are not meant to spray it in their faces I sprayed some onto a cotton ball and used that to wipe the sides of her face. The skin was pinkish and irritated, which was understandable after the nosedive.

Does an itchy face mean anything in particular, or is it likely just her dry skin flaring up again in a new way? If the Humilac doesn't work, what would you recommend to help make her more comfortable? She's eating and drinking normally. Should I be booking her an appointment?
Hedgiehogs likes this.

Prudence's Proud Mum Since February 2016

I share my home with one, big, slobbery dog, a ragdoll, a blind domestic shorthair, a slinky tabby, one crowntail betta, a double tail halfmoon betta, and our latest quilled addition... Prudence!

Last edited by Prue; 05-06-2016 at 10:06 PM.
Prue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
dry, ears, face, itchy, pink skin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in