Drying out in Cowtown. - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2016, 07:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Drying out in Cowtown.

STELLAA! and I live in Calgary Alberta, if youve ever been here it is DRY! even by my standards as a human I moisturize everyday so I can only imagine what STELLAA! Is dealing with, and to make it worse shes quilling. I have her taking supplements to help her skin given to us from the vet and have had a few oatmeal baths to help the itching and flaking, but im curious about "oiling" her. Ive heard a couple things about lightly oiling bath water and applying small amounts to the skin directly, I'd like to try this but am nervous about what oil would be safe to use. I hear coconut is good along with olive oil, but i feel like id be prepping her for a dinner or something and im having a hard time finding a pure coconut oil that isnt fragranced. I have pure almond oil at home that i use to soothe my itchy excema would it help my baby with her itching as well?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1461037017543.jpg (174.8 KB, 10 views)
CrysAnner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2016, 04:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

I'm just north of you in Camrose! I was born and raised in Calgary but made a run for it when I got the chance. Unfortunately it's just as stinkin' dry up here. The best way I've found to do it is to get vitamin e capsules, rupture a few into a bowl, and then using an eye dropper or syringe put the oil directly on my guy's skin. There's a bald spot in the middle of their upper foreheads which works well, and then I just dot it in a few other places. You can find plain coconut oil in Superstore in the small health foods section if you want it. In the Deerfoot Meadows location it should be an aisle down from the orange juice and milk, off to the side. I used to work there .

Almond oil works too. Also olive oil, the vitamin e oil, canola oil, even vegetable oil. The almond oil would also be okay to add to Stellaaaa's food, if you wanted. Just put a few drops on, shake it up, and serve. That'll help her skin as well, and may strengthen her quills and make them shiny. I'm doing research on this now, and can confirm it's awesome with skin quality.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

A humidifier in the room would also help both of you out a lot. I have a warm-air one that I run in my room for all of the critters (primarily my snake) & I think it helped the hedgies a lot over the winter, though it doesn't get too dry down here in Kansas.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in