Bald patch on back - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Prue
  • 1 Post By Aliciacyh

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2016, 12:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Bald patch on back

I adopted a 2 yr old female hedgehog last Friday. She is overweight and has skin issues. Took her to the vet and had skin scrape done. Negative for mites and instead she has quite bad fungus infection. I am in the process of changing her food from whiskas (fed by previous owner) to solid gold (furrever young) formula. And also trying to make her loose some weight. Had also applied 1st dose of revolution just in case the mites was not picked up by vet. Also started oral antifungal medication 2 days ago. I will post a photo of the bald spot and a photo that shows how scabby her ears are and u could even see some fungas patch on her face. Her ears had since recovered a great deal since I started doing daily cleaning and applying lotion. So my question is had anyone has such a case of fungus problem before and will the quills grow back at the bald spot? How long would it take for the quills to grow back? Before the start of oral medication, she would loss ~10 or more quills everyday. Now it had reduced to only about 2-3 quills per day. According to ex owner she started balding about 5 months ago. Also any idea how to clean her face as she keeps moving when I try to clean with cotton?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20160419-WA0000.jpg (159.0 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20160421-WA0005.jpg (95.6 KB, 30 views)
Aliciacyh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2016, 05:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

Poor girl, she's lucky to have a caring owner now. Looks like a pretty nasty infection to me.

The quills should grow back (at least partially), but to what extent varies from hog to hog. They should start growing again once he fungal infection is dealt with. It sounds like you're making great progress already, so keep up the dedication.

About cleaning her face-most hedgehogs hate that feeling so you're just going to have to try and hold her still the best you can.
Hedgiehogs likes this.

Prudence's Proud Mum Since February 2016

I share my home with one, big, slobbery dog, a ragdoll, a blind domestic shorthair, a slinky tabby, one crowntail betta, a double tail halfmoon betta, and our latest quilled addition... Prudence!
Prue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2016, 01:11 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thks for the reply. I am just worried that if i don't clean off those fungal patch on her face even with medication the fungus will come back as it is still on her face but then it may just be me being paranoid? It is a great struggle just to feed her the oral medication. She hates it a lot. Anyway i read somewhere that can give her vitamin E for her very dry skin? Is it to be applied onto her skin or for her to eat?

Old 04-25-2016, 06:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Oil can be put on them (usually best diluted in water & poured on at the end of a bath) or put on her food or both. However, do not put it on her skin right now, not until you're sure the fungal infection is gone. Oil clogs the skin pores & can cause an infection to get worse.

If she's relaxed enough, you might be able to scruff her and then wipe her face quickly that way. Otherwise, I'd check with the vet to see how important it is or if the oral medication will ensure that the infection is gone completely, even if you can't wipe her face down.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2016, 11:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

Poor thing looks so terrible. I'm glad someone has her now that will give her the care she deserves. She needs a manicure and pedicure I'm sure and lots of love Keep us updated
Cocoriggs89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2016, 11:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

I will try the oil once she recovers from her fungus. As instructed by the vet, i bath her today with a very very diluted medicated shampoo which will help in treating her fungus. And since i have problem cleaning her face daily, i decided to use this opportunity to clean her face as clean as i can. Using a little bit of baby shampoo and a cotton i gently wipe her face several times n she now has a very clean face. Looks like 2 different hedgie after her bath.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160425_200955_1461640130286.jpg (525.7 KB, 55 views)
Lilysmommy likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in