Scab or dry skin on snout? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kalandra

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2016, 01:09 AM  

Default Scab or dry skin on snout?

Hello! My girlfriend and I are the proud owner's of two 6 month old hedgies that we got a week and a half ago. I've noticed on the snout of my one female some bumps that look like a scab. She's housed with her sister who can be a bit of a grump/can be a bit scared sometimes. I'm also reading that dry skin is very very common.

I'll attach a picture of our little girl. I only got her a week ago and these bumps are the most concerning thing in my life right now. I'm looking for peace of mind.

It's on her left side. (Photo's right side) I added a picture that include the other side for comparison.

Her poop is slightly green. She drinks a bunch, eats fine, runs around a lot, and sleeps a lot which I hear is normal for babies. Only just today it seemed like she was a little off. I think I'm making a big stink of nothing and I'm projecting the symptoms of something bad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12953014_10154160737272755_1709957610_o.jpg (101.1 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 12970729_10154160737307755_1417733234_o.jpg (120.2 KB, 31 views)
repark625 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2016, 04:07 PM  

Did she have that when you got her? It does look a little weird. I'm a pretty paranoid mama so I would bring her in but lets see if some more experienced members weigh in on what they think it is.

Dumble is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2016, 04:37 PM  
Administrator

Thoughts:

Initially it looks a little dry and crusty, which could mean there is a mite infestation going on. But the skin doesn't look bad underneath from what I can tell. Look closer at her skin on her face and in her quills. Irritated? Dry & flakey? If it looks at all odd, I'd schedule a veterinary visit to rule out mites.

Next thought was, food. If you take a warm, wet wash cloth and try to gently clean her face, does it come off? You may need to encourage her to rub her face on the cloth to get it off.

Then the next thought was this: You are new to hedgehogs, and you have two new to you hedgehogs. Its a great time to schedule a veterinary visit anyway to get to know your veterinarian, and to have them checked out so that the veterinarian has a record on them.
nikki likes this.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 12:25 AM  

I'd like to follow-up. A Vet Tech friend advised me to wait a day or so to see if there is progress and I did. The bumps/scabs have healed completely since I have posted last.

I was never able to get close enough to really examine them as she's a fast little thing and wants to spend as much time as she can looking around and sniffing things.
repark625 is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in