Behavior after Revolution - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By shinydistraction

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2016, 02:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Arrow Behavior after Revolution

I have an 8 month old hedgehog named Higgins. She went to the vet today for the first time for her dry/flaky skin and quill loss (20+ a day) but NO itching.

She is eating, drinking, wheeling, peeing, and pooping normal. She is on a mix of 3 grain free cat foods mixed in with a sliver of high quality wet food and 1 tbsp organic no sodium beef broth nightly. She gets fresh water daily. She is housed on fleece bedding that gets changed every 2-3 days as needed. Cage is sanitized with a vinegar/water mixture. Bedding is washed with tide free & clear detergent and vinegar rinse

Skin scraping came back negative for mites/scabies. Ringworm test will come back in 2 weeks.
Vet started her on a preventative revolution in case of false negative. Gave her the first dose in the office. Since the vet visit she has been EXTREMELY agitated. She is in her hut and scratching (not previously a symptom) and hopping around continuously as if something is "getting" her. I lifted the hut to check on her and she was hissing (very unlike her) and I noticed lots of quills and skin flakes all around. Is this behavior unusual after a revolution dose? Should I be concerned? The vet also gave me an oil blend to administer to her via syringe 2/daily. She is too grouchy to do this right now.
Shawna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2016, 08:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

It might be the skin scrape itself, plus the stress of going to the vet rather than the revolution causing the freak out. I say this because a couple of months ago I was dealing with an ongoing issue with my girl and finally got a skin scrape done. The Nico's behavior following the skin scrape was heartbreaking to watch. It was a total melt down. She was scratching and chewing on herself as if her life depended on it. The next day the vet called me and we decided to treat with revolution (the skin scrape had come back negative for mites, so this was a just in case also). Applying the revolution didn't cause any issue. So if your girl is like my girl, it was the scrape and vet visit, not the revolution.

Still, monitor the situation and if it doesn't improve or gets worse, let your vet know. I'd wait and see what's she's like tomorrow unless the behavior becomes very concerning.
SquirtleSquirt likes this.
shinydistraction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2016, 06:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

Itching and inflamed skin are among the most common side effects of Revolution. It's one of those situations where the treatment may be worse than the disease - especially when it's a prophylactic treatment.
GsMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 07:45 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinydistraction View Post
It might be the skin scrape itself, plus the stress of going to the vet rather than the revolution causing the freak out. I say this because a couple of months ago I was dealing with an ongoing issue with my girl and finally got a skin scrape done. The Nico's behavior following the skin scrape was heartbreaking to watch. It was a total melt down. She was scratching and chewing on herself as if her life depended on it. The next day the vet called me and we decided to treat with revolution (the skin scrape had come back negative for mites, so this was a just in case also). Applying the revolution didn't cause any issue. So if your girl is like my girl, it was the scrape and vet visit, not the revolution.

Still, monitor the situation and if it doesn't improve or gets worse, let your vet know. I'd wait and see what's she's like tomorrow unless the behavior becomes very concerning.
Thank you! I emailed the vet & she said the same thing. It was most likely the trauma of the skin scrape as well as the stress of the vet visit. She also added that exotics tend to metabolize the revolution quite fast. She eventually stopped itching last night, but continued to be aggressive, but DH and I managed to get her oral meds into her without too much resistance.
She ate, drank, pooped, and wheeled last night. I think I'll give her today to calm down & recharge and see her temperament tonight.
Shawna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in