**URGENT** Red Skin under quills, fur, NOT mites. WHAT TO DO?! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Lilysmommy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2016, 12:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation **URGENT** Red Skin under quills, fur, NOT mites. WHAT TO DO?!

After making a post about the possibility of mites affecting my Kiwi (2.5 month old hedgie, she is still quilling), I've taken her to the vet and they have ruled out mites but have given her the appropriate amount of Revolution to prevent mites and worms/parasites.

It has been around 6 days since the Revolution treatment and I find that Kiwi is still scratching A LOT. The redness around her arms and legs are still noticeable and the area where quills become fur are red.

Today I noticed that on her skin where the quills are she has an area that is evidently red.

What could this be?

Should I go back to the vet and ask for more Revolution? Is she allergic to anything in her bedding? (CareFresh Natural) or cloth? Is there an allergy to her diet that I should change?

Are there any clothes that hedgehogs might be allergic to?

I'm VERY worried because if it were mites, the Revolution would have already shown results in the 48 hours, but it has been 6 days and i've only seen these dry skin symptons increase.

PLEASE help! I'm extremely worried as I am a first time hedgie owner
Yxiixy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2016, 02:07 AM   #2 (permalink)

Unhappy

I've added some photos, I'm very concerned as to what could be happening.

She has been scratching lots during the night when she is active to the point that (the image behind her ear) her skin is becoming so red i'm worried it will be raw soon.

ANY responses would be greatly appreciated.

**Edit** I 've just given her an oatmeal bath for the first time to see if this will help.
Old 03-24-2016, 06:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I would switch her off the Carefresh first to see if that helps. Carefresh is known for causing dry skin problems because it's so drying.

As far as cloth stuff, what kind of detergent are you using? I would make sure it's something with no scent or dyes. You could also try washing everything with just a bit of white vinegar & no detergent to see if it helps.

If none of that helps, I would go back to the vet to see whether it could be a skin infection. It could be a fungal infection.

I agree, it doesn't sound like mites is likely if the Revolution isn't helping at all yet. I don't think diet allergies is likely either as that doesn't seem to be too common with hedgehogs from what I've read/seen. It's much more likely to be an environmental thing or skin infection.
nikki and shetland like this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 10:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

I agree, and I think it could also be some sort of allergic reaction. If so, maybe talk to your vet about a light steroid.
han_victoria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2016, 05:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yup seems like allergies and a combination of care-fresh. What ingredients are in the food you give her?
Old 03-29-2016, 09:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you for the reply, I am now having her just on temporary paper towels so I am able to disinfect and clean her cage everyday until she heals... I will definitely get her off Carefresh after she's done though.

I haven't been washing her cloth with any detergents yet, this is because i noticed her skin was getting sensitive already so I didn't want to risk it. I have been washing it with boiling water to disinfect and clean the blankets.

I have been cleaning all her cage everyday with a 50/50 vinegar and water solution to disinfect.

My vet in insisting that if the Revolution isn't work, the next step will be to do a skin culture. Last time at the vet we did a tape test and mites were negative.

It's good to know that it is unlikely to be diet allergies.

What are the precautions to take if it is a skin infection/ bacterial problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilysmommy View Post
I would switch her off the Carefresh first to see if that helps. Carefresh is known for causing dry skin problems because it's so drying.

As far as cloth stuff, what kind of detergent are you using? I would make sure it's something with no scent or dyes. You could also try washing everything with just a bit of white vinegar & no detergent to see if it helps.

If none of that helps, I would go back to the vet to see whether it could be a skin infection. It could be a fungal infection.

I agree, it doesn't sound like mites is likely if the Revolution isn't helping at all yet. I don't think diet allergies is likely either as that doesn't seem to be too common with hedgehogs from what I've read/seen. It's much more likely to be an environmental thing or skin infection.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmersonTheHedgehog View Post
Yup seems like allergies and a combination of care-fresh. What ingredients are in the food you give her?
She is currently eating Natural Balance Peas and Ducks. I have since then taken her off care fresh and she is now temporarily on paper towels so that i can clean and disinfect her cage everyday
Old 03-29-2016, 09:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by han_victoria View Post
I agree, and I think it could also be some sort of allergic reaction. If so, maybe talk to your vet about a light steroid.
My vet is insistent that it is mites... she said the next step to take is a skin culture, then if not, an oral medication, and if nothing works, ivermectin which I have read all the terrible stories about and not willing to give Kiwi this.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:21 AM   #9 (permalink)

If you can, try to find a different vet for a second opinion. I have never heard of ivermectin working when revolution didn't, so I wouldn't allow the vet to give Kiwi the shot.

Hopefully the skin culture shows you what's going on. If not, you may want to try feeding Kiwi foods that she doesn't usually eat. If the problem clears up, she's allergic to something in her kibble.

Tags
dry, itching, red, revolution, skin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in