Dry, bald patch - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2016, 01:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Dry, bald patch

I've had my hedgie for about two weeks now and as a new mother I'm still having frights about everything. The first week he had green poo and I just let it pass since we just brought him home and he was getting used to his new place. He's been losing quite a few quills but nothing crazy over the weeks and now he has an extremely dry patch with no quills on it and the rest of his skin is dry. He's not itchy at all and is eating plenty and using the bathroom normally. He really hasn't been drinking much but I don't necessarily know what is "normal" for him. I'm planning on taking him to the vet tomorrow just incase but wanted to get opinions on here first.

I attached a few pictures of his dry bald patch and his ears as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3505.jpg (273.1 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3507.jpg (185.8 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3508.jpg (224.3 KB, 35 views)
benny224 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2016, 05:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

Poor little guy, that does not look good I would bring him to a vet immediately, or ASAP. Until then, make sure he is still eating and drinking everything he is supposed to and just leave him be in his cage, and try not to fiddle with him much.

Momma of Clementine, an albino hedgie <3
Petlover500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2016, 06:01 AM   #3 (permalink)

Is the black stuff on the bald spot just his skin flaking, or is there a layer of something there? I can't tell. If his skin is pink and there's a layer of black gunk, I'd visit a vet.

Have you noticed if the quills he's been losing have a bulb on the end? If not, are they weak and yellow or orange on the not-pointy end? Does the bald spot have a strange odor? This can be a sign of infection or mites, which means you need a vet.

If his skin is just really dry and flaking, and the quills seem alright, I would rub some vitamin e oil (or flaxseed oil, or olive oil) on the bald spot and tips of his ears just to moisturize him. You can rub it onto the area with a q-tip if he doesn't let you use your fingers. Give him fewer baths too for a while if you've been bathing him a lot as that can dry his skin out. If his quills don't start regrowing soon with the oil treatment he'll need a vet. Also if you notice a smell or discoloration stop using the oil right away, wash him off and head to a vet, as those are signs of skin infections and the oil will make them worse.

I hope that helps!

Old 03-08-2016, 01:40 AM   #4 (permalink)

Most of the quills have bulbs and they look very healthy and normal. There isn't anything on his skin besides dry skin flakes. There's no type of smell at all.

It's been about a week and we've just left it to kinda ride out and he seems to be doing great. I think it's just dry skin. We've added a humidifier to the room and that seems to be helping.
benny224 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2016, 01:41 AM   #5 (permalink)

Yay that's good news! I'm glad he's doing better!

Tags
dry skin, quill loss

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in