Possible cyst or tumor? - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Simhoff710
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2016, 09:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 5
Unhappy Possible cyst or tumor?

Hello all, I have always gone to these forums to seek hedgehog advice for as long as I've had my Axel. He is almost five years old and an incredibly friendly, happy, active hog and always seemed fairly healthy to me. As of late, I've noticed a particular large amount loss of quills (I am certain it's not mites, I've checked before and always has fleece or carefresh) in addition to a huge growth on his forehead which almost looks like a big boil or blister. It's above the skin and doesn't seem to go deep into the skin as my hedge was kind enough to let me feel around, but the thing is HUGE, probably the size of his ear! Curiously enough there's an opening in the middle (kind of the size of a quill!) however it looks really bad. My vet said it could be either a tumor which is probable or a cyst. I've seen pictures online and I don't think my little man has either of those however I still scheduled his surgery for tomorrow for removal of whatever growth is on his head. I am now feeling very queasy as I hope I am making the right decision, as if it's cancerous I definitely wouldn't want it to spread. I wish I knew how to post a picture on here but I hope I was descriptive enough.

Last edited by Simhoff710; 02-02-2016 at 09:09 PM.
Simhoff710 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-02-2016, 09:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 5
Default

here's a picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1454465153615.jpg (131.9 KB, 71 views)
Simhoff710 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2016, 09:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Leeloosmommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Montréal, Qc
Posts: 196
Default

Hello! I am not an expert, but I think it is a good thing you get this off him... It looks no good to me. Sending lot of good vibe for tomorow.
Leeloosmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2016, 09:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
shinydistraction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,548
Default

Well, if it helps, getting it removed certainly isn't the wrong decision. Once it's off, is it going to be tested to determine what it is and if it's cancerous? Either way, that thing has to be uncomfortable at best. He'll feel better once it's gone.

As far as the quill loss, has the vet done a skin scrap to find out what could be wrong? It's not impossible that it's mites, but could also be a skin infection of some sort.
shinydistraction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2016, 09:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinydistraction View Post
Well, if it helps, getting it removed certainly isn't the wrong decision. Once it's off, is it going to be tested to determine what it is and if it's cancerous? Either way, that thing has to be uncomfortable at best. He'll feel better once it's gone.

As far as the quill loss, has the vet done a skin scrap to find out what could be wrong? It's not impossible that it's mites, but could also be a skin infection of some sort.
I think he mostly has dry skin if anything but I will have the vet check tomorrow. The vet and I had assumed that the quills must have fallen out in the area where the giant growth is on his face was growing.
Simhoff710 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2016, 09:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeloosmommy View Post
Hello! I am not an expert, but I think it is a good thing you get this off him... It looks no good to me. Sending lot of good vibe for tomorow.
Thank you so much... That seriously made me feel a bit better! Xo
Simhoff710 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2016, 09:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
shinydistraction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,548
Default

Are you seeing baldness anywhere that should be covered by quills? You were saying a large amount of quill loss, what is a large amount? Losing quills next to a growth like that is understandable, but I can't see it causing the loss of a concerning amount of quills. If his quills are starting to look a bit thin in a particular area, I would have the vet do a skin scrap. You don't want to go through all the trouble of getting that growth removed, only to let a skin infection or mite outbreak go untreated.
shinydistraction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2016, 11:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinydistraction View Post
Are you seeing baldness anywhere that should be covered by quills? You were saying a large amount of quill loss, what is a large amount? Losing quills next to a growth like that is understandable, but I can't see it causing the loss of a concerning amount of quills. If his quills are starting to look a bit thin in a particular area, I would have the vet do a skin scrap. You don't want to go through all the trouble of getting that growth removed, only to let a skin infection or mite outbreak go untreated.
No areas of baldness but it does seem like he should have more quills. I'll be posting again tomorrow the results of the surgery and what the vet says. Thanks for your help! Xo
Leeloosmommy likes this.
Simhoff710 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2016, 10:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Leeloosmommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Montréal, Qc
Posts: 196
Default

Hello! I was just wondering how it go for Axel?
Leeloosmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2016, 11:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhoff710 View Post
Hello all, I have always gone to these forums to seek hedgehog advice for as long as I've had my Axel. He is almost five years old and an incredibly friendly, happy, active hog and always seemed fairly healthy to me. As of late, I've noticed a particular large amount loss of quills (I am certain it's not mites, I've checked before and always has fleece or carefresh) in addition to a huge growth on his forehead which almost looks like a big boil or blister. It's above the skin and doesn't seem to go deep into the skin as my hedge was kind enough to let me feel around, but the thing is HUGE, probably the size of his ear! Curiously enough there's an opening in the middle (kind of the size of a quill!) however it looks really bad. My vet said it could be either a tumor which is probable or a cyst. I've seen pictures online and I don't think my little man has either of those however I still scheduled his surgery for tomorrow for removal of whatever growth is on his head. I am now feeling very queasy as I hope I am making the right decision, as if it's cancerous I definitely wouldn't want it to spread. I wish I knew how to post a picture on here but I hope I was descriptive enough.
I was just wondering what the diagnosis ended up being, my phebe has the same exact bump above her eye, it's been there since I got her when she was baby (one year ago) so I didn't think anything of it but most of the quills on t are gone now..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1458618922359.jpg (153.4 KB, 17 views)
Phebesmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Weird (bump/cyst/blister)? help? Exlaminator Skin 3 08-05-2017 10:06 AM
Blister/Cyst/Tumor? justinbarr00 Skin 5 01-12-2016 05:40 PM
Any advice on a hog with a cyst? hogwildhedgies Skin 2 01-16-2015 01:46 AM
Tumor? elizakait Health 4 12-30-2014 08:31 PM
Ganglion Cyst in rats? Sela Off Topic 4 01-19-2011 02:04 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:15 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
PetGuide.com
Basset Hound Forum Doberman Forum Golden Retriever Forum Beagle Forum
Boxer Forum Dog Forum Pit Bull Forum Poodle Forum
Bulldog Forum Fish Forum Havanese Forum Maltese Forum
Cat Forum German Shepherd Forum Labradoodle Forum Yorkie Forum Hedgehog Forum
Chihuahua Forum Cichlid Forum Dart Frog Forum Mice Breeder Forum