Red sores between front legs and sudden behaviour change - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2015, 10:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Red sores between front legs and sudden behaviour change

Hello everyone!
So, last night upon taking my hedgie (Legolas) out to hang out, I immediately noticed he seemed very distressed. He was not curled up in a ball or even hissing very much after I initially woke him up, but he was constantly trying to run away. This was totally different from his usual exploration as he was just running without any aim to sniff or hide under anything, and overall seemed really frantic.
Normally he calms down when i tuck him in the bottom of my shirt and he lays on my stomach, but he would not relax, and I noticed he kept tucking his head down (the way he usually looks when he's 'licking himself'). Finally after a while I put him in his cage and normally he would go back to bed and hide until i turned the lights out, but he kept with his restless activities, just running back and forth across his cage, tucking his head down, shaking and scratching, and huffing now and then.
Last winter he had some dry skin, just from the air change, so I use this nice oatmeal lotion on his ears now and then when they seem dry and have never had any problem with it, and last night I did put some on his ears and some ended up on his stomach as well since he was running around so much. I thought that may be bothering him so i wet a towel and rubbed his belly a bit just in case but his behaviour continued, and he was absolutely crazy running on his wheel the whole night.
Then, this morning I checked on him again and noticed these red sores in between his front legs that were definitely not there to any degree last night (sort of in his "arm pits" I guess). On his right side it looks like a scab, and is very red all around, and on the left side it is just very red. I gave him a warm oatmeal bath hoping it would be soothing, and he was quite calm for a while after his bath, but of course was still pretty agitated. I did a full clean out of his cage and everything in it just to be safe, and let him sleep because I had an exam to get to. I have time tomorrow so I will take him to the vet then, but I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this? I looked through some of the other threads and all I can think is that he is either biting himself (for whatever reason, as thats what it actually looked like it could have been) or he could possibly have staph infection, but it doesn't really explain his hyperactivity.
I appreciate any advice you can give!
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2015, 02:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I'm glad you're taking him to the vet! His hyperactivity is likely due to pain/itchiness from whatever's going on with the skin between his legs. It's not uncommon for animals to show stress/discomfort with hyperactivity. I haven't experienced an issue like this, but a couple things to consider besides a skin infection - has there been anything new in his cage that might have caused an allergic reaction? And is it possible that he could've been bitten by an insect, causing the scab or the biting?

Also I notice you tried to share pictures - if you can't upload them directly to the forum, try uploading them to a photo sharing site like Photobucket or Flickr, then use the IMG link to share them in a post here.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in