Dry skin solutions? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2015, 03:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Dry skin solutions?

Hey guys, just wondering - do you use flaxseed oil either in your hedge's food or directly on their skin to help with dry skin? I am looking for the best solution. (I've read the sticky.)
I have tried olive oil, and we have given her 2 oatmeal baths since we've had her (we got her late September of this year and she is 18 weeks old). But she's still scratching a bit.
Humilac spray was discontinued as I understand? So I can't use that. I'm just looking for suggestions.

Sometimes I'll find a few individual strands of her fur on my pants after handling her, but she has not had significant hair loss or any quill loss and she is not quilling right now (hasn't been since about 9-10 weeks old). So I don't think she has mites. But I'm still worried!! Would you suggest getting kitten revolution even just as a preventative measure? (if I can get it online, but so far my understanding is that many online sellers will need a vet prescription)
I may also switch her bedding. Right now we have feline pine in there, but I'm going to try a cage liner.
I don't know if I'm just being paranoid, I mean it is winter right now, but I want to fix it. Most of the time she is awake, she's on the wheel, but I feel like I hear her scratch at least once a night..
lileggplant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2015, 07:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Have you tried coconut oil? My little girl likes the taste and it helped with her dry skin...I just tossed her dry food in it.
Mariaraz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2015, 07:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

I put a teeny bit of flaxseed oil on Finnick's food twice a week. I use an eye dropper and put three drops in. He likes the taste, so there are no issues there. I've also rubbed a little bit on his ears after a bath. Use it sparingly, it gets messy fast!

Humilac was indeed discontinued. You can still find it on occasion but it's getting more and more expensive as time goes on.

Have you ever seen little white specks all over dark fabric after you've handled her? Try placing her on a black piece of fabric and wait until she scratches ( I make this sound easy...) and then check the fabric for dots. If there's dots, there's mites. But if you haven't noticed them yet, she's probably fine.

I had to look up Feline Pine, so that tells you how much I know about it . Since she's still scratching, I personally would try the flaxseed oil on the food while gradually eliminating anything that could be a problem, and I would start with the bedding, no matter what type it was. Try fleece for a while, even just a small fleece blanket, and see if that helps.

It's probably just plain old dry skin though. It may even get better as winter changes into spring and things get more naturally humid. As long as she's not scratching herself raw or losing her mind over it, she'll probably be just fine with a bit of oil .

Old 12-14-2015, 09:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

I bath my little ones in Aveno Baby Wash which helps quills come though softer skin, dry skin flakes off and moisturizes all at once. Be careful not to bath them to much tho as that will dry them out more. Make sure she has lots of time to dry before you put her back into her bedding tho.
jessv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in