Tattered/dry ears... but we seem to hate vitamin e oil... - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Lilysmommy
  • 1 Post By _Devon
  • 2 Post By Kalandra

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2015, 10:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Tattered/dry ears... but we seem to hate vitamin e oil...

Hello! I've noticed that Fennel ears have become dry and/or slightly tattered. Vitamin E has been helping, however Fennel seems to be annoyed by the smell of it at times (seriously, its like half the time she notices it and half the time she could care less).

At first I thought maybe she hated her ears being touched. So I started touching them every time I give her treats. As long as she's being fed, she could care less! However, when she DOES notice me messing with her ears, she flips out only if its with the vitamin E. I thought maybe she doesn't like how it feels on her ears, but I did a "scent test" and she flipped out about it. I mixed a smidge in her baby food treat... FLIP OUT. I get a fresh serving of baby food... calm seas. I try baby food again with the vitamin E.... RAGE. I then decide to let her sniff at some olive oil (since thats supposed to help, too) and that was met with curiosity.

So my questions are this:
1. Anyone else have this reaction over vitamin E smell? It is pure vitamin E (no other oils added) and odorless as far as my dumb human nose can tell
2. If switching to olive oil doesn't help, do you think applying while in the tub would work? Tub distraction works well with her nail trimmings, so I'm wondering if I should just incorporate that with her weekly foot baths.

Thanks for reading my novel!
_Devon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2015, 11:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

You could try coconut oil, she might not mind the smell of that...or some people use unscented vasaline.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2015, 11:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Agreed, try olive oil or coconut oil. Lily had the "shaking ball of rage" reaction when I tried to put Lanolin on her ears. I thought for a bit that she was actually in pain or something & was panicking & trying to wash her ears off. But no, she just didn't like the smell...at all! Never got a temper tantrum like that from her again.
nikki and MomLady like this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 03:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki View Post
You could try coconut oil, she might not mind the smell of that...or some people use unscented vasaline.
Thank you! I'll try both and see
Old 06-30-2015, 03:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilysmommy View Post
Agreed, try olive oil or coconut oil. Lily had the "shaking ball of rage" reaction when I tried to put Lanolin on her ears. I thought for a bit that she was actually in pain or something & was panicking & trying to wash her ears off. But no, she just didn't like the smell...at all! Never got a temper tantrum like that from her again.

LOL I thought the same thing! Fennel had such a reaction, I thought I had hurt her! Thank you for the suggestions
Lilysmommy likes this.

Old 06-30-2015, 05:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Before you try anything on her, put a little on you to see how she reacts. Or put a little on a piece of cloth if you don't want to run the risk of being bitten .

I've used nipple cream, bag balm, unscented vaseline, coconut oil, vitamin e oil, flaxseed oil, etc and sometimes one will be ok, while the rest won't. Doing a test before hand can often tell you what will happen. I had one little boy that if I even opened the nipple cream tube near him he would go into an instant panic, but he tolerated coconut oil which definitely had a scent.
nikki and Lilysmommy like this.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2015, 12:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Rosie hates the feel of Lanolin put on her ears, but it really works!

She doesn't annoint or spazz out or anything, just obviously doesn't like me putting stuff on her ears!
marissa.peterson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in