Hedgehog Central banner

Tattered/dry ears... but we seem to hate vitamin e oil...

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  marissa.peterson 
#1 ·
Hello! I've noticed that Fennel ears have become dry and/or slightly tattered. Vitamin E has been helping, however Fennel seems to be annoyed by the smell of it at times (seriously, its like half the time she notices it and half the time she could care less).

At first I thought maybe she hated her ears being touched. So I started touching them every time I give her treats. As long as she's being fed, she could care less! However, when she DOES notice me messing with her ears, she flips out only if its with the vitamin E. I thought maybe she doesn't like how it feels on her ears, but I did a "scent test" and she flipped out about it. I mixed a smidge in her baby food treat... FLIP OUT. I get a fresh serving of baby food... calm seas. I try baby food again with the vitamin E.... RAGE. I then decide to let her sniff at some olive oil (since thats supposed to help, too) and that was met with curiosity.

So my questions are this:
1. Anyone else have this reaction over vitamin E smell? It is pure vitamin E (no other oils added) and odorless as far as my dumb human nose can tell
2. If switching to olive oil doesn't help, do you think applying while in the tub would work? Tub distraction works well with her nail trimmings, so I'm wondering if I should just incorporate that with her weekly foot baths.

Thanks for reading my novel! :)

See less See more
#3 ·
Agreed, try olive oil or coconut oil. :) Lily had the "shaking ball of rage" reaction when I tried to put Lanolin on her ears. I thought for a bit that she was actually in pain or something & was panicking & trying to wash her ears off. But no, she just didn't like the smell...at all! :roll: :lol: Never got a temper tantrum like that from her again.

#6 ·
Before you try anything on her, put a little on you to see how she reacts. Or put a little on a piece of cloth if you don't want to run the risk of being bitten ;).

I've used nipple cream, bag balm, unscented vaseline, coconut oil, vitamin e oil, flaxseed oil, etc and sometimes one will be ok, while the rest won't. Doing a test before hand can often tell you what will happen. I had one little boy that if I even opened the nipple cream tube near him he would go into an instant panic, but he tolerated coconut oil which definitely had a scent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.