Scab on neck? - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2015, 10:06 PM  

Default Scab on neck?

Hello, my hedgehog Daisy is a little over a year old and when I was playing with her today I noticed what looks like a dark red scab under her neck. It's kind of a long rectangle almost going across the base of her neck. I was trying to feel it and get a good look at it but it's at an awkward angle...if it is a scab, could she have somehow cut herself climbing around her cage? I don't see any dried blood anywhere so I'm skeptical..I just have no clue what this could be and I'm worried about her. She is acting completely normal, eating, drinking, playing, everything seems okay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1430096755613.jpg (152.1 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg image_1430096773081.jpg (149.4 KB, 25 views)
madisonkenzie is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2015, 03:54 AM  

Toggle gets spots on his neck like that. I don't know about your hedgie, but mine gets them when he gets too much moisture in that area while he's sleeping on the cage floor (sometimes it's pee, sometimes it's from the water bowl). It starts off similar to diaper rash and then scabs over.

I noticed it a few months after I'd gotten him. At first I gave him a bath and watched the spot for a couple days. When it didn't get better, I tried polysporin- which gave him diarrhea. I took him to the vet and they gave me antibiotics- very expensive antibiotics.

Those did work, but it took a while for the scab to be completely gone.
I've been dealing with these spots for a couple of years now, so I know when he's about to get one. I would definitely recommend going to the vet if bathing/antibiotic cream doesn't work for you.
Best of luck! Message me if you've got any questions

He hates it. If you look closely you can see the orange container of mealy bribes that I had to use to get him to uncurl.
EmilyandToggle is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in