hedgehog very sick - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2015, 04:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default hedgehog very sick

Hello,

I must have had my Hesgehog about a year now . he's never had any health problems until last week. I noticed his lamp had burnt out and his cage was slightly cooler than normal. When I go him out he became active again after a few minutes and everything seemed fine. He is now eating like a hog which is normal and drinking tons of water. However, when I got him out today his face was awful. I haven't actually handled him since last week because every time I tried he got all speedy and took off running. This is sometimes normal for him so I just gave him his space. I'm attaching a picture, but I'm wondering if this could be a respitory infection because he got so cold. I have a hard time finding good vet care so I want to have an idea of what to suggest to the vet. Has anyone ever seen anything like this!? His eyes are almost swollen shut.
crobbins2009 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2015, 05:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Sorry here is the picture of his face.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2015-03-23-16-38-58_1427144421497.jpg (23.1 KB, 22 views)
Old 03-23-2015, 08:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Have you fixed the heating problem?

The first thing I noticed is the wood bedding he's on. What kind of wood shavings are you using? Hedgehogs are quite sensitive wood oils. Some more than others. I would suggest changing the type of bedding you use to see if it makes a difference.

You could try fleece. Wash only in unscented detergent and air dry the liners or tumble dry, but don't use a dryer sheet.

or you could try care fresh bedding made of paper.

Also is he scratching or showing any signs of mites? Wood bedding is notorious for harboring mites.

Last edited by Buttons; 03-23-2015 at 08:40 PM.
Buttons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 12:19 AM   #4 (permalink)

No scratching or showing signs of mites. The bedding is aspen and it's what he's always used. I used fleece with them for a long time and I still have some but it seemed to harbor more bacteria then it was worse. The a aspen he is on is spot cleaned and new added daily. I also freeze it all for at least 72 hours before I use any of it.

The heating issue was fixed immediately.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

Sorry with him** I'm posting from a phone and not sure how to edit the previous post. Just wanted to make sure it was clear he's not in with other hedgehogs so it's not something he could have gotten from that. I did notice today he shakes his head a lot... Sorta like my dogs do when they're wet if that makes sense. He has a vet appointment tomorrow, but like I said the vet care for hedgehogs here probably isn't the best in my opinion.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:12 AM   #6 (permalink)

Just because an animal wasn't sensitive or allergic to something before doesn't mean they can't develop allergies or sensitivities.

I just change my fleece liners daily to prevent bacteria. I suggest you try the care fresh bedding for a while then to see if he improves, just to rule that out.

Head shaking could still mean his eyes, ears or skin is irritated by all of the above.

Are both of his eyes swollen or just the one? Is there any discharge from his eyes or nose?
Buttons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2015, 11:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

Changed the bedding but that was just yesterday so now improvements yet... He has an appointment in 45 mins so we'll see what they say hopefully an easy fix! Its both of his eyes and his nose which is why I thought it might be a respitory infection.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

It was mites. Severe mites. No quill loss though which is odd. I didn't know but the vet said it probably came from his food and I should freeze that too.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I would suspect the bedding over food. I don't think I've ever heard of mites coming from food before. But I have heard of freezing not always being completely effective to kill all mites, so that would be my guess, personally. Glad you found out what it was, though, and I hope he gets better soon! Make sure you aren't using Ivermectin to treat, as it can be deadly.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2015, 10:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

I guess it could have been the bedding. The vet just thought food. hmmmm not sure. And she gave Revolution thankfully! This was my first sick vet hedgie visit and I was really surprised at how cheap it was. And I DID find a vet the specializes in exotic animals -- hedgehogs included, so I was pretty excited about that! Hopefully the little dude gets to feeling better in no time. It was nice that the vet did a skin scrape and then put it under a microscope and let us look! A little creepy though :/
Lilysmommy likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in