Hedgehog making weird noises, no vets until Monday - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By carcar2110

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2015, 12:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to carcar2110 Send a message via MSN to carcar2110
Default Hedgehog making weird noises, no vets until Monday

I woke up around 6:30 in the morning or so, and all I could hear was this weird, kind of... I can't even explain it, but it was like her huffing but much different (I haven't taken a video yet, but I could provide one if needed to give an example of the sounds). Obviously, I was incredibly concerned, and was panicking waiting for one of the vets in town to be open so I could call in.

Once I did, however... I quickly found that neither of them were able to help until Monday, if then, perhaps not until even later. I guess my question here is... what do I do until then? She's never sounded quite like this before - snuffly, yes, and she was treated for a potential URI when I first got her, but... I don't remember it sounding like this. Is it possible it might get better between now and Monday? Or? Any help would be appreciated, really!

Penny's blog can be found at http://pennythehedgehog.tumblr.com/
carcar2110 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2015, 03:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

It's hard to tell from your description and a video might be more helpful. Is there an emergency vet you could take her to?

How is she acting, other than the weird noise?

CashmereSkeleton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2015, 05:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NsHMaOgqYo This is the video - it's not the best, but.

I think there are emergency vets, but... I don't know if any of them deal with hedgehogs. I'm going to have to take another look and see, but they would've mentioned that as an option when I called in, wouldn't they?

And as far as how she's acting otherwise... absolutely normally, honestly. When I woke her up at first, she was huffy, but she's normally quite huffy. And maybe a minute after I woke her, she got right up and headed over for some food, and ate/drank like normal. Eyes and nose seem to be clear but I'll keep an eye on those, and the sound only seems to occur when she's awake and doing things - right now, she's sleeping, and I can't hear a peep from her. So... yeah, I hope that helps? (I also asked about this on a hedgehog facebook group, and those were all questions I was asked there as well, so I thought they would be helpful here too!)

Old 02-21-2015, 06:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

I would guess she has an upper respiratory infection but I'm not expert. Someone else may be able to help but she does definitely need to see a vet
CashmereSkeleton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2015, 07:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

If she's still eating, drinking, and otherwise behaving normally, I think you should be okay to take her in Monday or Tuesday to the regular vet rather than paying for an emergency vet that may have no clue what they're doing with a hedgehog. The sounds do seem a bit weird to me, but I haven't experienced a URI in a hedgie before, so I'm not really sure if that's what it is or if it might be something else. I do agree with taking her in to your regular vet as soon as you can though, just to be sure.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2015, 04:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

Well, I come back with what I believe is... good news?

I went to go check on Penny just now, to see how she was doing... as usual, she huffed when I went to pick her up, but to my surprise, there was no hint of that noise she was making earlier at all. Back to her regular huffing, and nothing more. So, while I'm still planning to take her to the vet this Monday/Tuesday just to be sure... I'm feeling a lot better about the wait now that she isn't making that noise anymore!

Penny's blog can be found at http://pennythehedgehog.tumblr.com/
Old 02-22-2015, 12:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

And she wasn't just dreaming?

Draenog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2015, 02:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

Rose has made that noise before. I picked her up immediately suspecting a URI and she made it for a few more seconds before going back to her normal huffing. I'm thinking just a little bit of mucus got caught in her nose or throat and cleared up after a minute. I bumped her temp up just a little bit in her cage for the next few days and kept an eye on her. She was just fine, no change in behavior, food consumption and water intake.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in