Antibiotics not working, Help! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By HedgiesJuliet+Jasper
  • 1 Post By HedgiesJuliet+Jasper

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2015, 07:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Antibiotics not working, Help!

My hedgie has been treated for a URI with Doxycyline 0.15ml twice a day for 5 days. She has had that dosage and her 5 days are up, but the meds have not seemed to work and she is still sneezing a lot and sneezes out mucous too...

Plz help me I don't know what else to do and I'm still waiting for the vet to bring me some stuff for mites (Not sure if it's mites...)

Thx
Michaela

HedgiesJuliet+Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2015, 09:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Can you get a hold of the vet again? Let them know that the first antibiotic didn't work and see if they can bring you a different one when they visit again (preferably soon!). I believe Baytril is commonly used for URIs, so maybe they could give you some of that if they have it. I would also see if you could call them before they come again so that you could ask about testing her for skin infections before you start treating her for mites, so that if the mite medication doesn't work, you can already have that started to see what the problem is.

Side note, I can't recall if you mentioned if the vet said what they're going to bring for mites? I'm not sure if you could get it over there, but Revolution is considered the best medication for mites in the USA & UK. In the UK it's called Stronghold. I would make sure the vet doesn't plan to use Ivermectin, especially the injected form. If you don't have any other options for mite medication, at least go with the topic or oral form as they are safer than the injected.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2015, 10:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

Well we don't have an exotic vet so I use the one I use for my dogs and cats (I think she has done snakes and pigs etc... Before) I asked her for Baytril but she brought Doxycyline but that has not worked.

I will try and see if she can do a test but she comes to my house to treat her. She said for the mites she was going to bring some cat/kitten spray.

I'm glad I see her scabs have been getting better and she is growing her quills slowly, but she is still not 100%. On instagram I put a picture up if her and then someone commented and said her ears look thick at the top and it could be a Fungal Infection, is this true? I don't know how their ears must be as she is my first hedgehog.

Another thing is that she seems to be having little accidents on herself, she does not get up to do her business she just sits or lays down in her log house (Its plastic) and urinates on herself and it goes all over her and i have to give her a bath then, do they normally do that?

(Sorry I know I was going a bit of topic but just trying to get all my questions out the way)

Thx, Lilysmommy

Old 01-11-2015, 01:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Cat/kitten spray sounds good! That's what Revolution is, so hopefully it's a safe product. A skin test to check for bacterial or fungal infections would involve the vet taking a small sample by scraping or perhaps Juliet may have some lost or loose quills with skin at the end that would work when the vet checks. Then (from my understanding) she would culture it in a lab to see what grows, which would tell whether it's bacterial or fungal and what specific medication would be needed. So it should still be something she can do if she can bring the right tools to get a skin sample & preserve it, and if she has some place to culture it.

It could definitely be a fungal infection, but her ears aren't necessarily a fungal infection. Hedgehogs can have dirt, dry skin & other crud build up on their ears, which make them thicker & can look like "fingers". Occasionally it can be a fungal infection, but most of the time, you can get rid of it by rubbing oil, vaseline, or a scentless lotion on the tips of the ears once a day.

Peeing on themselves is not a normal behavior, it's typically a sign of something going on or of a sick hedgehog. It could definitely be because she's sick. She could just not want to leave her hut for some reason though. Some hedgehogs prefer to have privacy to pee or poop, and I remember one person put a second hut in the cage on Nancy's suggestion (or maybe it was Nancy's hog?) & the hedgehog used one for a sleeping area & one for a bathroom. How light is it around her cage when she does so? Is it possible it's too light or too open or too busy around her cage and she doesn't feel comfortable leaving her hut to pee? Is she pooping in there too, or does she leave the hut to poop, just not to pee?

Also, what does her pee look like? Is it very dark or light yellow? Sometimes peeing in an unusual location or with unusual frequency can be a sign of a UTI, urinary tract infection. Hopefully that's not it though...poor girl doesn't need any more problems! If her behavior doesn't seem to be due to an environmental cause such as light or wanting a covered area to pee in, though, I would mention it to the vet and see what she thinks.

Old 01-11-2015, 02:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Well I phoned the vet and she is coming tomorrow and bringing another antibiotic for her URI.

Hahahaha maybe i should do the same as Nancy! Right now she is in a reptile cage which has glass doors so thats the only light coming through, though I want to get her a better cage. Her cage is in another spare room which nobody really goes in there so I don't think thats the problem. She only pee's, maybe she is just to lazy, lol!
I don't really know the colour of her pee but briefly when i'm washing her its darkish. She just started this habit recently of peeing on herself and sometimes when i pick her up she starts peeing in my hand...Is this any possible sign of pregnancy when they pee everywhere and anywhere?

Remember when I did that thread because she is so skinny, well I'm trying to get her to eat mealworms, or scrambled egg and she also eats her Royal Canin and she has fattened up in a shot! Not even a week and she just grew.

I hope my vet knows what she is doing with my hog O.o

Thx, Lilysmommy you are the go to girl and know everything!
Lilysmommy likes this.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I'm not sure on signs of pregnancy, Nancy or Nikki would know that better. I know that for some animals frequent peeing can be a sign of a UTI though. It wouldn't hurt to mention the behavior to your vet when she comes back, just in case. I'm glad she's put weight on, that's great! Now the concern will be making sure she doesn't get overweight instead. It may not hurt to find a lower fat food to start mixing in with the kitten food now, just so you can balance them out better or remove the kitten food if she does start getting a little too squishy. And I'm happy to help, and happy that Juliet has found such a good home.

Old 01-13-2015, 04:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

She is very good when it comes to food what ever I give her she eats so there is no problem changing. A UTI, I hope not! She still has little cave ins on the side has soon as those are filled I will swop. I should be getting the new URI antibiotics today hopefully they work. She never like to walk around, when I put her down to explore a bit she just tries to find a place to go back to sleep lol. Thx for the help! (I don't like to put a forum on her about if she is pregnant because then people are like you are so irresponsible etc...)
Lilysmommy likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in