Possibly sick? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2014, 06:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Possibly sick?

Hi! I just got my hedgehog Harley yesterday from a pet store, I know it's better to get them from a breeder but there are not any local ones so I just went and got one from the pet store. I've noticed that she seems to be sneezing but it's hard to tell since I'm not familiar with their noises, some websites say she might just be snuffling and I can't tell the difference. I've noticed her licking, but not excessively. Sneezing can be caused by the smells of a new home I've read. Along with that I had paper shredded bedding, so I thought that might be the problem I went and switched it out with the corn litter that was found at the pet store with her but I'm still worried. She has been eating and drinking as far as I can tell, but her poop is green and a little liquidly, but I have also read that this can be due to the stress from the move.

I'm just wondering what I should do, I would hate to take her to the vet to find out nothing is wrong and be stuck with a big fat bill but I would also hate for her to get sick further.
Does anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by harleyx; 11-09-2014 at 06:28 PM.
harleyx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2014, 06:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Corn litter is no good, it goes moldy quick when wet and can get stuck in the hedgehog's genitals. To see if she's sneezing because she's sick or if its from bedding put her on fleece, flannel or cotton fabric. You can use sheets or pillow cases if you don't have anything else and line her cage with that for now. Make sure there are no loose threads to catch toes and don't use anything with loops like towels or terry cloth. If she's still sneezing after changing her to cloth liners they she most probably is sick. Many pet store hedgehogs are sick when sold.

You say she's a female? Do you know if she was with other hedgehogs and if so were any of them males? If she was with other hedgehogs and you don't know for 100% that they were all female then you need to assume she's pregnant and put her on pregnancy watch and read the threads in the breeding section.
Nancy and Lilysmommy like this.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2014, 06:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

The pet stores said she was with other males but is it possible she's sneezing because she is pregnant? I didn't think that would be the case at all. I'll try putting a pillow case in there with her now.

This is similar to what she sounds like

Last edited by harleyx; 11-09-2014 at 06:55 PM.

Old 11-09-2014, 07:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Yep, she's sneezing and it sounds a bit wet. Take her off the corn cob cob tonight as Nikki mentioned. If she is still sneezing by tomorrow evening I'd get her to the vet.

She is adorable.
Lilysmommy likes this.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2014, 07:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Pregnancy wouldn't make her sneeze but you will have to assume she's pregnant. Always follow Nancy's advice, she has the most experience around here.

Old 11-09-2014, 07:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Okay. Does anyone know the cost for this kind of vet visit? I know it carries with the vet but I'm in college and it's just cost a lot more than expected for her. I knew I was going to have to take her to the vet eventually I just wasn't really prepared for this many expenses at once.

I'm going to call the pet store tomorrow and see if they will help cover the vet bill, if the only thing they can do is take her back I'm just going to say forget it. I would be too scared they would just kill her and I definitely would never be able to just trade her out for a different one.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Because it varies so much its really hard to say what it could cost. I wanted to mention that its good to get her to the vet now because if she is pregnant you need to have a vet that you can take her to if she has any problems with her pregnancy or delivery. If you've only had her since yesterday the pet store "should" pay for the vet visit. They may want you to take her to a vet they use though so call them before going to your vet.

When I first got a hedgehog it was from a pet store too and she ended up having a URI and the pet store paid for the vet visit. I just had to send them a copy of the vet bill.
Nancy and Lilysmommy like this.

Old 11-09-2014, 07:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Okay, hopefully they help cover the bill. I just can't see it being fair that I have to pay for it when I just got her yesterday. The closed at 5 today so I'm going to call first thing in the morning and see what they say. How long should I wait before taking her to the vet?

Also, I just took the corn litter out and replaced it with a couple tshirts. She seems kind of confused lol, but I just watched her eat a little so that's good. What kind of bedding do you recommend I get now?
Old 11-09-2014, 08:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

I would get her to the vet as soon as possible. If you wait it could turn into pneumonia which can be fatal.

A lot of people use fleece liners for bedding in their cages, if you look under the cage set up thread you'll see what it is.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Should she stick with some kind of loose bedding in case the hedgie is pregnant though?

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in