Sick girl.. maybe? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Nancy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2014, 12:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Sick girl.. maybe?

Hi guys! First off, I feel like I've been asking a lot of questions lately so thank you so much for answering... haha.

So two days ago, I brought Ellie to the breeder to get her nails cut (I'm nervous and the breeder loves to see her babies come back.. although I do want to try cutting her nails at home next time first since it's getting cold out! Brrrr). We played with her a little that night, but not too much.

Then last night, she was sneezing like crazy most of the night. Semi-excessively licking her nose... so the first thing I thought was URI. Granted, the night of her nail clippings we did add more bedding to her cage because there was barely any for her to burrow, but it wasn't a new type or anything like that. (And supposedly dust free!) Right now, I wouldn't be able to get her fleece as a liner until tomorrow night/early Monday morning.. and even then, her cage right now is too small for a dig box/area so I'd still need bedding.

This morning I brought her to vet. She was such a little huff ball. The vet couldn't even take a listen to her lungs! She gave me antibiotics anyway and said to take a listen tonight one more time, if she's still sneezing, start it tomorrow. No discharge from her nose, appetite is a little less but still hear her eating all night, and stool is also a little less but still the same color, texture, etc and is a decent amount.

Brought her home, my boyfriend held her (she loooovess him) and she was a perfectly fine angel, friendly, etc, not sneezing, fine. Put her back in her cage for the morning, and of course, sneezed a few times before sleeping.

I guess this post is because I'm wondering what everyone thinks of the situation... should I just administer the antibiotics just in case? But I don't want to give it to her if she's healthy? I'm thinking maybe she caught something upper respiratory related when we brought her to get her nails trimmed 2 days ago since it is cold out.. but who knows.
ashleyyy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2014, 02:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

I'd wait longer and see if she continues to sneeze before giving the antibiotic.

What kind of bedding is she on? All bedding, with the exception of liners, is dusty and could be irritating her nose. I'd put her on liners and see if the sneezing stops.
nikki and Lilysmommy like this.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2014, 09:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

She's on all bedding (Eco-bedding, paper). I want to do liners but she LOVES digging and burrowing and right now there'd be no room for a dig box in her cage. The only other time she ever had a sneezing fit was for 15 mins after a bath, I think she had bath water up her nose.

Old 11-08-2014, 10:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

If she did have a URI, would she be sneezing while wheeling too?
Old 11-08-2014, 10:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'm sorry I don't know alot about illness. I just wanted to add that clipping nails the first time wasn't nearly as scary as I though it would be!
Good luck with everything
Prickerz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2014, 10:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

Haha thanks so much Prickerz!!

I don't either, which is why I rushed to the vet. At least now I have antibiotics should she continue to be sneezing and licking a lot!
Old 11-09-2014, 08:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

If she has a respiratory infection her sneezing is going to increase in frequency. She will sneeze when she is up and active, while wheeling, and when in bed.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in