Need help QUICK - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By Lilysmommy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2014, 12:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need help QUICK

I've had my hedgie since march this year, I got her from a breeder and she has been in great health until recently, she has stopped eating as much, exercising basically never, her nose looks wetter than it used to be and when she huffed it was extremely quiet, she whistled a little and didn't come out of her ball. Is it URI?
Charleyhedgiex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2014, 12:43 AM   #2 (permalink)

I just noticed that she's also extremely shaky when she's walking and whistling when she's breathing in general
Old 10-07-2014, 12:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

You're saying she's not coming out of her ball at all?

Put her on her stomach. Does she come out of her ball at all? Try rubbing her back and see if she comes out. If she doesn't, it's likely that she's attempting to hibernate. If this is what's happening, you need to warm her up immediately and get her to the vet.

Please read this thread for instructions on how to warm her up safely. I also put a towel in the dryer when my hedgie attempted hibernation, and wrapped her in that.

Old 10-07-2014, 01:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

What's the temperature in her cage? Do you have a heating set up? And do you have a light schedule of 12-14 hours of light during the day?

Feel her belly, if you can. If it's cool, it's a hibernation attempt. For now, get her warm, and keep her warm. If it's not, her cage needs to be above 73*F. If it already is, but she's cool, bump it up a couple degrees.

Once you have her warm, you're going to need to keep the heat up & make sure she stays warm. She doesn't need to go to the vet right this instant UNLESS she doesn't warm up within an hour or so. If you can't get her warm & responsive within an hour, then get to an emergency vet right away.

If you can get her warm, that's good. You'll still want to make a vet appointment for sometime in the next one or two days, though. She could very well have a URI, which will require medication. Otherwise, it can turn into pneumonia, which can kill a hedgehog.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2014, 05:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for all of your help, i think it was a hibernation attempt as I put her on my stomach for 15 minutes to warm her up a little then I put her in her cage, put two blankets on top (as I don't have any heating set up), within 20 minutes she had stopped wobbling, was running on her wheel and eating, she's no longer sniffly, whistling or quiet. Since then (as it's night again now) she is very active on her wheel, eating and acting like normal once again
Old 10-07-2014, 05:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I'm glad she's doing better! But you still need to get her a heating set up ASAP. It's still relatively early in autumn and the weather is going to continue getting colder. You're going to have more issues with her hibernating if you don't take the steps necessary to keep her warm. You should have a digital thermometer so you know what the temperature in her cage is. It should be between 73-78*. Most people aim for 75*. A space heater or CHE set up are the most commonly chosen options. A space heater will heat the entire room up and a CHE set up will heat just her cage. Most people with only one hedgie usually prefer a CHE set up, which also costs less to run.

I can't stress the importance of this enough. You do need to look into a heating set up for her and make sure she stays warm. She's more likely to attempt hibernation again in the next week or two, so it's important to get something set up ASAP and keep her warm until you have it.

You also want to continue to keep an eye on her for a few days. If you notice her sniffling, sneezing, etc. at all, she needs to go to the vet. Hibernation attempts can lead to URIs. URIs, without medication that you need to get from a vet, lead to pneumonia, which can kill your hedgehog.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in