U RI not getting better? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Nancy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2014, 01:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default U RI not getting better?

I got Quill in late April. The breeder said she was sneezing, but "that's nothing to worry about". She hasn't stopped since. I did a lot of research before I got her, I figured it was a URI so I took her to a vet and he gave me azithromycin to give her for 7 days. That didn't work so we went another 10 days. I took her back again and he wanted to do 7 days of every day then 21 days of every other day. She's one week into the whole 7 days then 21 days and I see no improvement. She's running fine, eating fine, drinking great. However she sneezes and wheezes a lot and her nose is always wet and bubbles sometimes.

Why isn't she getting better? It's been MONTHS! She hasn't died, so it leads me to believe it isn't a URI? I asked the vet if maybe it was chronic, he said no. I leave for vacation in 2 days and I'll be gone for a week. My boyfriends sister is taking care of her and I'm just worried for her. She has care fresh bedding. I switched to liners for a week when I thought it was the care fresh, but there was no improvement. Also, on bad days when quill seems to sneeze more than usual, her poop stinks like nothing else. It's happened maybe 4 nights since I've had her.

Help
TheySayHey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2014, 01:41 AM   #2 (permalink)

Poor girl. Her poop could be extra stinky because of the medication.
The fact that she is still eating well and active is a good sign.
Does the vet you took her to have experience with hedgehogs? The only thing I can think of is to take her to someone who has specialized training for hedgehogs (they can be hard to find).
Maybe she has an allergy to something?
Melanie G. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2014, 01:51 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default reply

I found the vet from a list of vets I Ohio that had experience with hedgehogs. They care for exotic animals only. And maybe it is allergies? He didn't even test her or anything. He just said it was a uri just by looking at her... it makes me worried but she hasn't gotten worse? Should I switch back to liners?
TheySayHey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 02:46 AM   #4 (permalink)

I'm not sure if that would help. It sounds like she had this problem before you got her and it's continuing and isn't getting better but also not getting worse.
Since she is tolerating the medication fairly well, I would continue to give her the full course of treatment and hopefully she will start improving.
Keep an eye on her and make sure she is eating and drinking and her poops are normal looking. Let the person that is taking care of her know what to look for if she gets worse while you are gone and how she can reach your vet.
Sorry- I wish I had better advice.
Melanie G. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2014, 09:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

She should be on liners. Any particulate bedding can cause respiratory issues and if she did have a URI, it can make it worse.

I assume he listened to her lungs? If not, perhaps a different vet might be a good idea.

When the first lot of antibiotics was finished with no improvement there should have been a culture and sensitivity done on the mucous in her nose. They take a swab and send it off to the lab to find out what it is and which antibiotic will work best to cure it.

The smelly poop could be from the antibiotics, but if it is a gag you type of rank, perhaps she also has an intestinal infection and having a fecal done might be a good idea if it happens very frequently.

First thing to do is put her on liners and see if there is an improvement. Even if you don't notice improvement, liners are healthier for any type of breathing issue.
Lilysmommy and Melanie G. like this.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in