Very Worried - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Nancy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2014, 02:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Very Worried

I just bought my hedgehog Ray 6 days ago from a place called Sierra Aquatics in Reno, Nevada, and since I've bought him I've found out that he has Mites and a respiratory infection. I have taken him to the vet and Ray was prescribed some antibiotics for the infection and another treatment for the mites. This is his third day of the antibiotics and he doesn't seem to be getting better at all, maybe even worse. He's having trouble breathing, his nose is now slightly dry instead of running. He also seems to be pretty low on energy, sleeping for most of the day, and when he does wake, he does not move around much. Also he tends to twitch occasionally. I'm not sure if he has the hiccups or what, it could be nothing but it still worries me. He is still eating, thankfully, but he doesn't seem as interested in food as I thought a hedgehog would be. He will just walk past meal worms like they're not even there. This is my first hedgehog so I am turning to the community. Please help!
Zabrisky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2014, 12:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Not all hedgehogs like mealworms so don't judge his food intake by that. Count what kibble you give him to ensure he is eating and how much. Also try putting some of his kibble in his bed with him. Often when sick they will eat if it's right there with them. You should be prepared to start syringe feeding him.

What type of bedding are you using for him? If shavings or a loose commercial type bedding such as Carefresh, take him off it and use liners. A pillow case will work for a quick liner. Also flannel baby receiving blankets, or you can buy fleece. Don't use anything like a towel as their nails and toes can get caught in the loops. Loose types of bedding are dusty and would aggravate his respiratory infection.

Sometimes antibiotic takes a while to work and show improvement. It is a concern that he seems to be getting worse but sleeping all day is normal for a hedgehog. They typically sleep all day and are up at night. Being sick will also make him less active than normal plus he is a baby and babies sleep a lot.

Keep him warm, count and keep track of the kibble he eats and access how he is tomorrow. If you still think he is going downhill, I'd put a call in to the vet. Possibly he needs a stronger antibiotic.
Lilysmommy and Zabrisky like this.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in