Runny nose with clear mucous - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2014, 07:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Runny nose with clear mucous

Quilbur was treated for a URI in October, and I'm fearing this might be it again.

This time, her breathing sounds clear, but she has a pretty bad runny nose (clear mucous) and quite a bit of sneezing (I hear her stop running on her wheel to sneeze all night). We moved to a new apartment about a month ago, so I figured it isn't an environment change, since she's had time to adjust. I'm in the process of transitioning food (to Blue Buffalo). The only other sign I'm seeing is looser than normal poop. It's not runny or anything, just a lot squishier than normal. It's a medium brown color, nothing too out of the ordinary. She is also on fleece liners, but would dirty liners possibly be an issue? I haven't washed them in a couple days.

I want to take her to the vet, but I live in Chicago and it's so incredibly cold out, and unfortunately I don't have a car. I don't want to make it worse for her. But if you guys think she needs help asap, I'm going to find out a way to get her there safely.
pixieperf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2014, 07:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

Also, she is eating and drinking normally. I actually gave her 10 extra kibble than normal last night so I could try and count how many she ate and she wolfed it all down. So it means she ate 10 of her old kibble and 60 of her new kibble.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

So...anyone? I got two responses from reposting this on the general questions board. One was helpful, one shut my post down.

I REALLY need some advice guys.

I've upped her amount of food to have extra left over. Her poop is still squishy and we're having sneezing/licking nose problems.

SHOULD I TAKE HER TO A VET?

Old 02-10-2014, 01:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

If she's sneezing that much, definitely get her to a vet ASAP, especially if she started having mushy poops.

I'm guessing you'd take a bus to get to the vet? In that case, pick up a few of those Little Hottie Handwarmers and wrap them in socks. You can carry Quilbur in a fleece pouch under your coat, and put the socks with the warmers next to her (not in the pouch with her, just in your coat next to the pouch. They get pretty hot). Zip up your coat to prevent drafts and she should be fine.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thank you thank you thank you SO much. I really just needed someone to say if it's smart to get to the vet or not. I didn't want to make the trip if it didn't seem urgent. I've got a really thick coat and one of her snuggle sacks. I've stocked up on hand warmers in case our radiators go out, so I should be okay to go. I'll be taking public transportation, but it's a 20 minute walk to the nearest stop. I'll be super careful
Old 02-10-2014, 01:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Good luck! Just keep her surrounded by those handwarmers, but monitor how hot they get so they don't burn her. Let us know how it goes.

On another note, since her breathing still sounds clear, it's possible she has allergies (which can lead to more frequent URIs). I learned Pig has allergies so I cleaned my apartment top to bottom (even washing the walls), and got an inexpensive air purifier and Pig has hardly sneezed since I did that a month ago. I also set up a humidifier because the water molecules can help trap allergens in the air.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in