URI? What to do? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2014, 01:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default URI? What to do?

Hi, so I had started a thread in just health and thought it prob more appropriate to post here.

I don't know what to do now. He is still making the sounds. The sounds are always made when he eats and more spread apart when he just being active.

Just some background info

Got him about 5 weeks ago.
Was prescribed clavamox
-Used for 3 weeks total of the first prescription. about 4 days into the prescription it went bad (turned dark yellow), but I didnt think it was not effective
-Got another prescription and have used it for 2 weeks. Does not seem to be working....

Took a video of the sound:
It happens at 17 seconds in. Also, are the noses supposed to pulse so much like his?
wonger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2014, 01:56 AM   #2 (permalink)

was planning to stop using the clavamox. Thoughts?
Old 01-22-2014, 06:02 AM   #3 (permalink)

Not really knowledgeable when it comes to medicating hedgies but if he is taking antibiotics then he should be taking it properly or else the infection is only gonna get worse

Neil

" With great power comes great electricity bill... "
Tongue_Flicker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 02:28 AM   #4 (permalink)

It sounds like a sneeze to me. My hedgie had an URI, and the first round of antibiotics didn't work either. With the second type of antibiotic, it took almost a week to notice a difference, and then there were still times when she would sneeze again. Do not just take your hedgehog off antibiotics without consulting your vet first, because generally the full prescription of antibiotics will need to taken in order to prevent the URI from returning. Most vets are okay with you just calling the clinic and asking the vet what to do.
_jessica is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2014, 03:43 AM   #5 (permalink)

Just to be clear... Did your vet confirm that it is an URI?

And yes, I agree with _jessica - it does sound like a sneeze. However, an URI usually accompanied with frequent sneezing, wheezing, and a runny nose.

I think your hedgie was just sniffing around, haha. I find it very cute when Wonton moves her nose around. It's quite fascinating because I can't do that with my nose. :')
LittleWontonPoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2014, 02:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

Can't remember if she comfirmed if it was URI, just gave me some clavamox to use. He does keep licking his nose thou, so it is hard to tell if any discharge. The reason I was going to stop using it was because she told me to keep using after almost a month... Was then put on some baytril for I think 4 weeks, which seems really long. It's been so long lol. I thought maybe might be because the laundry detergent has a scent so I stopped using it, only using some chloride(?) now.

If the issue is still going on after the baytril I'll get a second opinion.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

Some hedgies like to lick their nose more frequently than others (trust me, I thought Wonton had a URI too when I read about frequent nose licking). I believe discharge is meant as in a runny nose...? I am not too sure, but I think it's referring to something that drips out of the nose. Sometimes, I find that vets give meds just as a precautionary measure...And possibly earn some extra bucks off you.

I would continue with the meds until the designated date to stop using it, because it could come back!
LittleWontonPoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
sounds, uri, wheezing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in