Hedgehog Central  Hedgehog pet care & owner forum

Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Respiratory Infections (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   URI? What to do? (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46850)

wonger 01-21-2014 02:41 AM

URI? What to do?

Hi, so I had started a thread in just health and thought it prob more appropriate to post here.

I don't know what to do now. He is still making the sounds. The sounds are always made when he eats and more spread apart when he just being active.

Just some background info

Got him about 5 weeks ago.
Was prescribed clavamox
-Used for 3 weeks total of the first prescription. about 4 days into the prescription it went bad (turned dark yellow), but I didnt think it was not effective
-Got another prescription and have used it for 2 weeks. Does not seem to be working....

Took a video of the sound:
It happens at 17 seconds in. Also, are the noses supposed to pulse so much like his?

wonger 01-21-2014 02:56 AM

was planning to stop using the clavamox. Thoughts?

Tongue_Flicker 01-22-2014 07:02 AM

Not really knowledgeable when it comes to medicating hedgies but if he is taking antibiotics then he should be taking it properly or else the infection is only gonna get worse

_jessica 03-03-2014 03:28 AM

It sounds like a sneeze to me. My hedgie had an URI, and the first round of antibiotics didn't work either. With the second type of antibiotic, it took almost a week to notice a difference, and then there were still times when she would sneeze again. Do not just take your hedgehog off antibiotics without consulting your vet first, because generally the full prescription of antibiotics will need to taken in order to prevent the URI from returning. Most vets are okay with you just calling the clinic and asking the vet what to do.

LittleWontonPoo 03-03-2014 04:43 AM

Just to be clear... Did your vet confirm that it is an URI?

And yes, I agree with _jessica - it does sound like a sneeze. However, an URI usually accompanied with frequent sneezing, wheezing, and a runny nose.

I think your hedgie was just sniffing around, haha. I find it very cute when Wonton moves her nose around. It's quite fascinating because I can't do that with my nose. :')

wonger 03-10-2014 03:33 PM

Can't remember if she comfirmed if it was URI, just gave me some clavamox to use. He does keep licking his nose thou, so it is hard to tell if any discharge. The reason I was going to stop using it was because she told me to keep using after almost a month... Was then put on some baytril for I think 4 weeks, which seems really long. It's been so long lol. I thought maybe might be because the laundry detergent has a scent so I stopped using it, only using some chloride(?) now.

If the issue is still going on after the baytril I'll get a second opinion.

LittleWontonPoo 03-10-2014 08:12 PM

Some hedgies like to lick their nose more frequently than others (trust me, I thought Wonton had a URI too when I read about frequent nose licking). I believe discharge is meant as in a runny nose...? I am not too sure, but I think it's referring to something that drips out of the nose. Sometimes, I find that vets give meds just as a precautionary measure...And possibly earn some extra bucks off you.

I would continue with the meds until the designated date to stop using it, because it could come back!