Questions about URI treatment and some things the vet said.... - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Lilysmommy
  • 1 Post By Annie&Tibbers
  • 1 Post By ceopet

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2014, 03:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Questions about URI treatment and some things the vet said....

Alright so Yesterday was Petra's second visit to the vet, This time she didn't see my favorite vet in the clinic but one of the new vets they have.

This time I wasn't just having new owner panic and she does have a URI. We are treating her with Septra and Baytril twice a day. It's very hard to get into her, at fist she'd eat it hidden in a bit of gross smell science diet A/D but she must have gotten a taste of it, so now I am syringing it in hidden in a tiny bit of watered down A/D. He had taken a smear of her nose and said there wasn't anything too odd on it, BUT it could be we caught this really early (she has been sneezing, and her nose is dripping but it's clear).

Anyways the vet said she has lost some weight, which I can't be too sure is from what, because she has been eating really good, I am actually thinking it's because I am out of mealies for the time being, (She'd get them every other day) and I haven't had any pumpkin on hand for her ( I usually give her the pumpkin on days she doesn't get the mealies, because she loves it and I hide some flax oil in it for her dry skin). I have decresed the amount of the lighter food she eats with more of the higher proten and fat ones to try and help bulk her up though.( And I do plan on getting more mealies pumpkin, and the baby foods she lilkes soon too it's just been a pain getting around in this weather) I also figrue the Ad might help too.

Anyways, The vet asked if the foods I feed her are wet or dry, I said dry. He was saying that he thinks wet is better...has anyone heard this? He also mentioned hedgehog food. I told him in turn that I don't thing hedgehog foods are great and some are made not good things in them. He asked if she liked grapes as a way to suggest the medicine delivery. I just said no. I didn't want him to feel I was being argumentive or anything. i know in general vets don't have a good grasp of animal nutrion but does any of this sound like he's not a good choice of vet???

He also suggested getting a blood sample and skin scraping (because she has a small bald spot on her back that I noticed recently and I asked about it) but I decinded because I said I just want to watch it for now, If we have to a recheck I will, I just feel uncomfortable doing that unless we really really have to, he said he understood.

Also lastly about how soon should I see her feeling more her self with less sneezing with this treatmeant? Does it sound like a sound URI treatment to you guys?
I
ceopet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2014, 05:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

*bump just to make sure people see it
Old 01-12-2014, 05:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I'm surprised he would suggest grapes...If you talk to him again, I'd mention that they're not recommended since they can cause organ failure (I believe renal failure if my memory is working right today). It's possible he just hasn't heard that it applies to hedgehogs as well, or hasn't thought about it.

Honestly, if he listened to you and didn't seem to be too rude or upset by you refusing hedgehog food or ignoring the grapes suggestion, I wouldn't write him off. Yeah, it's annoying that they may not be up-to-date on nutrition information, but a vet that's willing to listen to you and work with you is always a nice thing when it's difficult as it is to find a vet that will see hedgehogs. Listening to you regarding the blood sample & skin scraping sounds like a good thing, so he can't be too bad!

As far as the wet food, he's not far off on that - more moisture helps with processing protein, which is why too high of protein in dry food can cause kidney problems. However, it's a challenge with hedgehogs since the heat means bacteria can grow more quickly on wet food, and it also dries out and gets gross by the time it's been out a few hours. Some people find ways to work around that (a cube of wet food frozen to thaw out slowly), some hedgehogs just eat early and maybe once more when human wakes up, etc. It's up to the owner if they want to try doing wet food instead or what they prefer.

I'm not sure on the sneezing question, though, since I don't have any personal experience with URIs.
ceopet likes this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 05:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you for the feed back I had no idea that was true of wet food vs dry. Gives me something to think about. I have been wanting to get her eating closer to a holistic diet like what a lot of people on here seem to be doing, but wet food seems like a good option for transitioning or as a supliment.

It actually doesn't bother me that his nutrion info wasn't as up to date as it could be, because I know vets hardly get taught that stuff but it was a little off putting anyways LOL.

Chances are is that I will see him again since I don't like the the third vet they have there, and my first choice is often booked since he is the head vet, so I am relived to have that feed back. If the grapes do come up again i will let him that I have heard they are toxic. Like at said at the time i didn't want him to think i was just being argumentative because I said I didn't like hedgehog food. He did mention some hedgie foods are better than others which i have seen is true.

Thanks again
Old 01-12-2014, 06:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

More on wet vs dry: dry helps keep their teeth cleaner (wet gunk sticks more), but wears teeth down faster (wet is softer).
ceopet likes this.
Annie&Tibbers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 01:46 AM   #6 (permalink)

I wonder what is more important that their teeth have something hard to clean them or that they don't get worn out as they age? That is one thing I don't like about kibble is that hegies end up wit messed up teeth as they age. I know you can combat that by crushing sometimes, but then sometimes you get a hedgie that won't eat their crushed food.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:16 AM   #7 (permalink)

Just want to say I only heard one sneeze from her yesterday and zero from her today so her meds seem to be working.

Getting them into is really hard but I will keep at it because I want to clear this up. I've been mixing the meds in a tiny bit of watered down a/d and syringing it in her mouth. I wish she'd just go back to eating the meds hidden in the a/d right out of a dish, but I think she got a taste of the meds because the last time I tired she ate like three bites and stopped. She'll eat the a/d by it self still. lol
Lilysmommy likes this.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yay!
Annie&Tibbers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in