Someone please help with a bit of knowledge and insight! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2013, 03:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Someone please help with a bit of knowledge and insight!

Last night Ginger and I had an AWFUL dilemma- I went to check on little miss before heading to bed and found she was CHOKING- and gagging repeatedly, very much upset and uncomfortable. I took her from her cage to put her on the counter just to get a better look when she started to pee.. Which I know means she is in distress and scared, and couldn't breathe- this is what scared me so terribly. After putting a q-tip in her mouth hoping to open her throat up a bit, she threw up quite a bit, and it was all her kitty food (Chicken soup lite) I also massaged her throng a bit hoping she would swallow anything else little that was lodged.
I called the emergency vet line in my small town too- it would have cost $400 dollars to have someone look at her.

Ginger had been stuffed since her last scare with a URI, but I was thinking it possibly had nothing to do with the sickness and really she was just snuffling and huffing.. Changed her litter.. Nothing. Last night was SO bad and that when I noticed how congested and snotty she sounded again.. And wet. Like an old woman cough.
Went to vet today and are back on chlorpalm, until the exotic vet gets back to him, so then we will do x rays to check for pneumonia.
I feel SO helpless and stupid, and I have no idea what to do for her. She is warm and comfortable and sleeping, I bought some pumpkin and chicken food (wet) for her to eat hoping she wouldn't choke. I'm so afraid being so stuffed THAT'S why she choked though, because she has a lot of issue breathing through her nose right now. Vet MAY or may not put her on Baytril injectable if its worse that we suspect- but he doesn't believe there is a flavored version or one easy to feed via syringe to mouth-which I've read there is? Apparently it often burns?
I just need some sort of help of answers I feel so sick and sad right now

Thank you in advance to anyone who has something
Caity
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2013, 06:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have absolutely no experience and insight into anything else, but thought the Choking - what to do sticky might be helpful for you. Best of luck to both of you!
Annie&Tibbers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2013, 12:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

Are you sure she was choking and not coughing?
It looks a lot alike.
If she is coughing, then you need to act fast because she is very sick with pneumonia.
Sims is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 03:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

No, she was definitely choking
She started to pee.. Which is a very bad thing it means an animal is very scared and in distress, and started to get tired and didn't want to fight anymore, which is when I pulled out the q-tip. We have been crushing her food, and giving her a bit of wet now.

She is back on antibiotics with what they believe is just the same URI that didn't got away fully. We were only on 7 days worth before which was not long enough.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

what is the antibiotic name that you're using?
satinsoul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2013, 03:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Baytril is often used in hedgehogs. Some vets mix it with something to make it taste better. When I've used it I syringed up a bit of wet cat food mixed with water, and added the Baytril to the food in the syringe, this way the food masked the taste.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in