Tea for hedgies? - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Kalandra

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2013, 04:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Tea for hedgies?

Okay don't make fun!!! But I know I read somewhere on here about giving your hedgehog tea when they wernt feeling good.. I just can't find the post now.
Ginger is in the midst of her 10 day Chlorpalm dose to treat a mild URI. We were offered Baytril, but with reading about all the cartilidge abnormalities it can cause in animals under a year (she is only 3 months) I had issues giving this to her unless is was THE only thing possible. My veterinary clinic is awesome, and though they may not be 'an exotic specialized clinic' they got did their proper research, and even double checked with our closest exotic vet (who is a two hour drive away) and prescribed us with the Chlorpalm. It's flavored, so giving it to her so far has been easy peasy!
NOW- on to my point. She is doing much better- lethargic wise, even her sneezing has decreased a tad, breathing sounds much better and she all around seems HAPPIER.. But I know when I'm sick- and I actually get respiratory and sinus issues a lot (so I can only imagine how she feels ) all I want is something that will ease my throat/dry nose a bit! Is there any 'safe' tea to allow hedgies to drink? Does anyone know what I am talking about or am I coming off silly
Bossyxox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2013, 04:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

It doesn't sound silly at all! There's actually an article in my new issue of a bird magazine that is all about using tea for birds. Different animal, but similar situation! Unfortunately...I'm not sure how well it'd carry over to hedgehogs. Birds are quite sensitive to overdoses of things, like hedgies would be (small sizes, etc.), but I'm not sure if all of the "safe teas" would carry over or not.

For what it's worth, the recommendations from the article for respiratory issues is anise seed/star anise, rooibos, red clover, and lavender. There's also green tea and rose/rose hips recommended for immune system health.

Before you actually try any of this though...you might want to run the different suggestions past your vet & see if they know anything about possible toxicity or overdose for any of those with hedgehogs. If you do give it a try, make sure you offer the tea separately from her normal water, in case she doesn't like it - at least she won't refuse to drink and get dehydrated then!

I swear I've read some posts about tea with hedgehogs too, but just searching "tea" in a few of the forums didn't give me anything.

(Also, I have no personal experience with using tea with hedgehogs, this is purely second-hand information - if any of the admins like Nikki, Nancy, or Kalandra advise anything different from what I've said, listen to them. )

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2013, 05:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Alternate idea: a bit of a hedgehog-safe juice? Like apple juice, as a special treat that should be totally safe since apples are a popular treat-food...
Annie&Tibbers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2013, 08:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

I could've sworn I read about tea on here before and it's driving me insane!
I will keep looking, but I would also check with your vet.
-Anatole France
SpikeMoose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2013, 10:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I have a feeling (though I could be wrong) that the tea mention might have been either HedgeMom or Kalandra, and I'm wondering if it was something to do with chamomile for stress or something like that? But like I said, I could be pulling that out of nowhere. Still, I'll be interested to see if Kalandra pops by to comment on this!

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2013, 09:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

I’ve used herbal teas for hedgehogs on numerous occasions. Most of the time I use chamomile, but on occasion I use mint. I’ve always been told black teas are a big no-no since you shouldn’t give hedgehogs caffeine.

I use chamomile for lots of reasons. I’ve used it as a digestive stimulant, to encourage drinking, as a calming agent, as a mouth wash (its supposed to be good for wound healing and inflammation), etc.

I’ve also use mint on occasion to help encourage a sick hedgehog to drink.
Lilysmommy and SpikeMoose like this.
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in