What do I do :(? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By abbys
  • 1 Post By abbys

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2013, 08:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default What do I do :(?

I am fairly sure my little Ginger either has a cold or the beginning of a URI... When she's awake sniffing around she sounds absolutely fine, but in her sleep is when I notice the sneezing and almost snoring,
I dot want to say wheezing because I do not think it is that, but just heavy congestion almost!?

My dilemma is: I live in a small town- I have NO issue taking her the 2 1/2 hours to see the vet she needs to see, but they cannot get her in till Monday. Like- at all, I called and have asked already but the ONE vet they have who specializes in small animals is booked till then I don't want anything to happen! What can I do? Is there anything I can do in the mean time? Will it be okay to wait that long? Like I stated before, it's really when she's sleeping I notice this, when she's awake, the doesn't make any funny or suspicious noises, other than her regular snuffs&huffs and the like.
Bossyxox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2013, 08:47 AM   #2 (permalink)

I also wanted to mention she is still eating regularly and drinking normally!!!
It's Thursday morning here- can't get her to vet till Monday..
Old 10-03-2013, 11:49 AM   #3 (permalink)

How long has she been sneezing, and how often does she do it? Can you tell if her nose is drippy?

Call the vet back and ask if they can call you first thing if they have a cancellation. Is there another vet in the area who doesn't specialize in small animals but would be willing to take a look anyway? If they can manage to listen to her lungs and take a look at her nose that might be enough for them to give her some antibiotics.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbys View Post
How long has she been sneezing, and how often does she do it? Can you tell if her nose is drippy?

Call the vet back and ask if they can call you first thing if they have a cancellation. Is there another vet in the area who doesn't specialize in small animals but would be willing to take a look anyway? If they can manage to listen to her lungs and take a look at her nose that might be enough for them to give her some antibiotics.
I have had her just over a week, and didn't notice this until maybe 3-4 days ago! She definitely was not like this when we brought her home. I have been told this happens often with pet store hedges instead of ones coming from a breeder
I called my regular vet today and he said he had seen a few hedgehogs over the past few years (living in a small community it's rare, but there are some people in town with them) and he will see her- and refer me to another vet if he is unsure of how to treat her, which is said is unlikely as a sick animal is a sick animal, but at this practice they do not perform any surgeries on small animals.
Hoping everything goes smoothly and hoping no URI..

Ps- she sneezes a LOT when she's sleeping, like has little fits/bouts of it. Here and there when she's up and awake, again in little fits. Her nose isn't like a tap, or so I find it to be 'drippy' but when she sneezes she sneezes mucous all over me, nothing colored, but I don't want to wait till it gets to that point!!

Last edited by Bossyxox; 10-03-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yeah, if she's sneezing that much I'd take her to the regular vet. I hope she feels better soon!
Old 10-03-2013, 01:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

She needs to see a vet soon before it turns to pneumonia.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2013, 03:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
She needs to see a vet soon before it turns to pneumonia.
Took her in- vet says she is a very well behaved hedgie thanks to me, and let him do whatever he pleased (for the most part)
He thinks what she has is a virus, like the common cold. He have my Baytril to have on hand IF it gets worse.. But not to use is until then, I am very thankful to have it on hand.
My only concern is, should I get a second opinion? She threw up a little (during the ride to the vet, she doesn't like travel so far) and I don't want to just let it persist and get worse! I get what he said, that we don't want to just take antibiotics at every little cough and sniffle but I don't want my poor Ginger to get sicker !!
Old 10-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

If it's a virus then antibiotics won't work, but I wouldn't wait too long to give them to her because if it is a bacterial infection it can progress quickly. Maybe give it another 24 hours and then start her on it. But I'm not a hedgie health expert, so if Nancy comes back and says differently, listen to her.
Bossyxox likes this.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

And P.S., that's great that she was so well behaved! It's always a proud parenting moment when someone says that.
Bossyxox likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in