How noticeable are early URI symptoms? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By ajweekley

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2013, 12:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How noticeable are early URI symptoms?

Pig's norm is to sneeze when he wakes up to shuffle around for a more comfortable position, but in the past week I've heard about three extra sneezes. And I thought I heard him breathing heavily a couple times while he was asleep under my shirt but it's possible his nose was just up against the fabric. I haven't heard him breathe heavily at any other time and I'm trying to listen for wheezing but I can't hear anything over his huffing when I try to inspect him closely. If he has developed, or does develop, a URI, will the wheezing be obvious or is there something specific I need to listen for?

His nose isn't wetter than usual, he's licking a normal amount, no boogers, eating and activity is fine. I'm just worried about the wheezing because it's the one symptom I can't physically see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2013, 03:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

Are you able to put your ear on his chest or on his back (of course, only if he's relaxed and his quills are down) to listen to him breathing? When our guinea pig had a URI, we couldn't hear any wheezing unless I had my ear right up to his back. It was really more of a clicking with each inhale and exhale. We couldn't hear it otherwise until it got really bad.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

I believe my other Hedgehog had this. I recommend a Vet to check it out. I think it can even get worse. So, that's what I would do in this cause.

Hope this helped!
Chloethehedgie7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 04:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

He won't hold still long enough to put my ear up to him and if I try to force it he deploys his hedgie armor. Let's say I do get close enough - even if it's quiet is the wheezing sound distinct enough that I could tell it apart from the huffing and hissing? Or should I forget trying to get the wiggly piggly to cooperate and instead watch for other symptoms?
Old 09-20-2013, 04:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

It kind of depends on how upset he is. An occasional hiss, yeah, you could hear it over all that. But if he's very angry and annoyed, he might overpower the sound of the wheezing.

If you're concerned, I would take him to the vet, or at least call and ask for advice. Don't ignore that concern. The earlier you treat a URI, the better his chances of kicking it.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yeah, I made an appointment for tomorrow morning. His regular vet can't get me in until Monday morning and I think I just heard a suspiciously mucous-y nose whistle so I opted for a different vet about an hour away. I'd really really prefer to go to our regular vet because he knows Pig's norms and baseline but I've never dealt with a URI before and don't know what to expect. Why do these things always happen at the start of a weekend???

Or could it wait til Monday and I'm just being paranoid?

Last edited by abbys; 09-20-2013 at 05:24 PM.
abbys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2013, 06:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

I think you should go now. I'm glad you could get him in. You can always take him to his regular vet for a second opinion on Monday if you need to, but at least this way he will have been seen by somebody and can start treatment if need be.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

And these things always happen at the start of a weekend because that's the Golden Rule of Parenting. Human babies do the same thing. Fine all week, then 4:00 on Friday, BOOM! 104 fever. :P Every single time.
Lilysmommy and abbys like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in