Baytril Please help ASAP - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2013, 02:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Baytril Please help ASAP

My hedgehog was diagnosed with a veryyyy mild URI and was prescribed Baytril. Last night, I gave him his first dose and it went surprisingly well. This morning however, it was a huge struggle and when all was said and done, I can't say I'm very confident that he took the full dose, or even most of it. Is there any way to make him more willing to take the medicine in the mornings? Please help me!
Kacey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 02:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Breeders

Default Re: Baytril Please help ASAP

It sure can be tuff giving meds! Did the vet flavor the meds? Sometimes that will help some. Some people have had some success injecting the meds into a cricket or mealie. We have some very knowledgeable people here, i'm sure some of them will have some great advice to offer.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

It can be tricky because it tastes bad and upsets tummies. So the first dose (first few doses, if you're lucky) goes much more easily than later ones because they've associated the maybe-not-so-good taste with upset bellies.

I've developed a number of tactics. Hedgie will eventually catch on to each, so be prepared to switch as needed.
- make a medicine "sandwich" in the oral syringe. Draw up babyfood turkey or chicken, then meds, then more babyfood turkey or chicken. That way, at least the first and last tastes are good.
- mix in into strong tasting wet cat food. The Blue Wilderness varieties seem to mask it the best.
- find a compounding pharmacy and get some roast chicken or turkey flavoring. If you bring the meds, they can mix it up for you.
- inject into mealies or waxies
- aim for a time of day when hedgie is a little more sleepy than usual, so there's less of a fight

To help with the upset belly that may put him off his meds, make sure he's taking it with food. That's part of the reason I like making a med "sandwich." Also, halfway between doses, give him some acidophilus. The meds are killing off both the bad stuff causing the URI and the good bacteria in his belly that help him digest food. So, halfway, between doses, put that good bacteria back in. You can sprinkle it on his kibble that he'll eat overnight while you're asleep. You could mix it in with a wet food and feed him that when you're up. You can get Benebac gel from places like PetCo (or other varieties you can get from your vet) and feed that directly.

If you're up and playing with him and it's NOT time for a dose, give him just plain babyfood the same way you'd give him the meds; ie, in an oral syringe. That way, "oral syringe" doesn't automatically mean "bad taste; upset belly" to him. Even after he's off his meds, you can give him a bit of baby food via oral syringe to help cement the idea that good things come that way too!
Marlee Twyla Hufflepuff -- Big little girl
smhufflepuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 04:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smhufflepuff
It can be tricky because it tastes bad and upsets tummies. So the first dose (first few doses, if you're lucky) goes much more easily than later ones because they've associated the maybe-not-so-good taste with upset bellies.

I've developed a number of tactics. Hedgie will eventually catch on to each, so be prepared to switch as needed.
- make a medicine "sandwich" in the oral syringe. Draw up babyfood turkey or chicken, then meds, then more babyfood turkey or chicken. That way, at least the first and last tastes are good.
- mix in into strong tasting wet cat food. The Blue Wilderness varieties seem to mask it the best.
- find a compounding pharmacy and get some roast chicken or turkey flavoring. If you bring the meds, they can mix it up for you.
- inject into mealies or waxies
- aim for a time of day when hedgie is a little more sleepy than usual, so there's less of a fight

To help with the upset belly that may put him off his meds, make sure he's taking it with food. That's part of the reason I like making a med "sandwich." Also, halfway between doses, give him some acidophilus. The meds are killing off both the bad stuff causing the URI and the good bacteria in his belly that help him digest food. So, halfway, between doses, put that good bacteria back in. You can sprinkle it on his kibble that he'll eat overnight while you're asleep. You could mix it in with a wet food and feed him that when you're up. You can get Benebac gel from places like PetCo (or other varieties you can get from your vet) and feed that directly.

If you're up and playing with him and it's NOT time for a dose, give him just plain babyfood the same way you'd give him the meds; ie, in an oral syringe. That way, "oral syringe" doesn't automatically mean "bad taste; upset belly" to him. Even after he's off his meds, you can give him a bit of baby food via oral syringe to help cement the idea that good things come that way too!
Thank you so much! The medicine is already bacon flavored but I will definitely be using this advice. Should I up his next dose a little bit since I know for a fact he didn't even take MOST of the dose this morning? And do you think maybe putting him in a little water so he can't ball up would help?
Kacey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in