After antibiotics, my hedgehog is still blowing bubbles through his nose, please help - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kalandra

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2019, 04:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default After antibiotics, my hedgehog is still blowing bubbles through his nose, please help

Last month I posted about my hedgie blowing bubbles through his nose so I took him to the vet, he got an antibiotic (idk the name but it’s a transparent, little bit sticky one). He took it for a week, looked better and again started sneezing so I took him a second time... the vet said he looked fine except for his nose that was a little bit irritated so again he gave Spiky a different antibiotic (this time a yellow-ish, more liquid one) and instructed me to give it for 2 weeks... he’s finished now but started blowing bubbles, sneezing and wheezing again and I honestly don’t know what to do... He’s eating, drinking and pooping just fine, but I would like to hear from someone if they had the same experience. Will take him again to the vet but I’m scared he gets too much medicine that can affect his stomach or something.
Spiky_love is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2019, 02:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hey there! What substrate are you using for his bedding? Too much dust could be a problem. I definitely agree about the medication; too much for any animal can definitey cause the liver and kidneys to have problems. If you’re using any type of loose bedding, I would recommend switching to fleece to see if that helps.
Aj.t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2019, 03:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Ask them to do a culture and sensitivity test on the mucous. A C&S test will determine if there is a bacterial infection and what drugs work against it. Its possible that there is an infection which is resistant to the medication being prescribed.
nikki likes this.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2019, 10:37 AM   #4 (permalink)

He has a fleece inside his igloo and the rest of his bedding is news fresh (recycled newspaper bullets(?)those for rabbits ) that he has been using since I bought him from the petshop... but definitely will ask the vet to run that test on him ... it’s strange that the symptoms come and go so I’m thinking it could be an allergy but will take him soon just to be on the sure side
Spiky_love is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in