Cold, Wobbly, URI - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By belties
  • 1 Post By latte.the.hedgehog
  • 1 Post By Yukidama's mama
  • 1 Post By latte.the.hedgehog

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2018, 05:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Cold, Wobbly, URI

My 3 month old baby has been fighting a URI for weeks. I've been giving him baytril twice a day and feeding him a/d wet dog food (he won't eat anything else).

I thought we were making good progress. He's been eating more lately and breathing easier. However, this morning I found him sleeping under his wheel. I picked him up and he immediately puffed up and got angry (I believe he has just started quilling) but I could tell something wasn't right. I gave him his morning medicine and he just stood there (usually he fights me like crazy). I noticed that he felt cold. The high-low thermometer in his cage read 24C and it said the lowest it got in the night was 23.8. He's got a back up CHE set to come on if the temp gets below 23.

I put him on my chest under my shirt but he immediately started squirming and digging around. I noticed he was extremely wobbly. I put him back in his cage with food (he refused it) and he actually fell over while walking over to his tunnel. I am worried sick about my sweet angel. His vet is closed on Thursdays.

Now I've got him in his sleeping sack with a disposable hand warmer (in a fleece cover). I'm not sure what else to do. I have to leave to work but I can come back after 3 hours and try to find another vet if need be. I live in the Japanese countryside. The vet we use now is supposedly the expert in the area. I'm a bit nervous about taking him to another vet, but obviously I'm extremely worried about him. Please help!
latte.the.hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2018, 05:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

My little one likes her pen close to 26C. You might try raising the temp a little and see if that helps. The lower temp might be why the other problem has not cleared up.Not all hedges like the same temp.Just like people some do better warmer or cooler than others.
LuckFupus458 likes this.
belties is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2018, 11:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Before I left for work, I turned up the heat, as well as turned his CHE to come on at anything below 25. He's a baby and only 144 grams, so i guess it's possible that 23.8 was simply to cold for him. The thermometer shows the cage temp is 26.5 now. I will try to keep it steady.

I left work early to check on him. He no longer felt cold. He felt nice and warm and perked right up. He seemed to be walking around fine but still is not interested in eating or drinking. I tried to syringe feed him and he squirmed like crazy to avoid the syringe. I'm going back to work but I will try feeding him again after.

He can be a very picky eater. The a/d food comes in a big can and only lasts for 3 days in the fridge. Per the vets instructions, I put most of the food in a plastic bag in the freezer. Then I microwave frozen bits to feed him. He never really likes it when it's been microwaved. As a result, I have to keep buying new cans and have a huge stockpile of frozen food. I will try feeding him a fresh can tonight.
Yukidama's mama likes this.

Old 10-31-2018, 11:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'm glad he's improved

I could be wrong, but I'm sure I've read in the past about people getting powered form of hills a/d or perhaps carnivore care and adding water to it to make up the mixture. Maybe look into that as will save you having a stockpile of frozen canned food!

Have you noticed a difference in his appetite since adding a piece or two or the new kibble? Hopefully when you get hold of some benebac it will help!
latte.the.hedgehog likes this.
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2018, 01:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

UPDATE: I turned his CHE to come on at anything below 26. He's currently sleeping under it. I gave him some fresh a/d food with benebac in the evening and he ate it up. It's 2 am here and I woke up to give him some more food. He also ate that up too! The high-low thermometer says his cage is 24.5 when the CHE is off and 26 when it's on. This is from the corner of the cage away from the CHE. So it's definitely warmer directly under it. He's definitely quilling. I've found probably 40 quills over the past 4 days or so. Hopefully with the warmer temp, we can finally kick this URI for good.
Yukidama's mama likes this.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:12 AM   #6 (permalink)

Try freezing your Carnivore Care in an ice-cube tray. That way it's frozen in perfect servings, (you only have to fill eat cube-hole with as much as they'll eat in one sitting), and since they're smaller servings they will reach room temperature faster than if you had to thaw the whole thing. MEANING that you can just bring them out an hour ahead of time and have them thaw out and ready to eat without using the microwave. When we had to give Gracie Carnivore Care she didn't like it out of the microwave either because there's no amount of time it can go into the microwave that will thaw it but not cook some of it and Gracie hated cooked Carnivore Care.
Askeptosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2018, 05:03 AM   #7 (permalink)

Sorry, I meant Hills a/d not Carnivore Care.
Askeptosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2018, 08:48 AM   #8 (permalink)

That's a good tip! Side note: can you actually freeze carnivore care powder? When I received the bag, I was surprised to read on the back that it only lasts a week in the fridge. I froze some of the powder just in case, because the bag is way too big for my boy. I was supposed to throw it out on Friday but it's Monday and it still seems perfectly fine??

Raising the temp seems to have helped tremendously. I keep his cage at 26C now and his appetite has gone up a lot. And thankfully, he will eat microwaved a/d food now! I only do it for 10-20 seconds and it definitely cooks it a little but he doesn't seem to mind.

We went to the vet on Saturday and he was shocked at his come back. He admitted that he didn't think he would be doing so well. At the worst of the URI, he only weighed 122 grams but now he's at 155. I'll keep doing my best for him. He's still way too small so I'm trying to fatten him up! Also, he's still sneezing a bit (WAY less than before) so the vet told me to continue the medicine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in