2 Week URI Still Persisting - Page 2 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2018, 12:18 AM   #11 (permalink)

Re the benebac. You can get it on amazon.jp I got it with prime (next day delivery). Also rakuten.jp sells it if you don't have prime for Japan and that'll take just a couple days delivery. I can send you the links for either, just let me know. it will definitely help with his green poop situation.

In case it is allergies, it might be worth investing in an air purifier for the room (you'll benefit from it too ^^) ~I'm happy with the one I purchased earlier this year.

Continue the medicine as per the vet instructions.

Hoping he improves soon! ♡

Last edited by Yukidama's mama; 10-31-2018 at 12:24 AM.
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2018, 08:45 PM   #12 (permalink)

I'm no expert on the vinegar method but I notice that everyone recommended white distilled vinegar and not apple cider vinegar which can have other things in it and isn't as pure as white distilled. Just an observation.
Askeptosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2018, 08:44 PM   #13 (permalink)

White vinegar is very hard to find in Japan, but I did manage to find it at a foreign food store. I will wash their bedding using baby laundry detergent and an extra rinse with the white vinegar.

Raising the temp seems to have helped a great deal. He's eating like crazy, which I'm very happy about. The problem is that he's still sneezing and just generally sounds stuffed up.

I have an air purifier going 24/7, just washed his bedding using the above method and will use it tonight, I don't use lotions or perfumes in the room where the hedgies live. I'm not sure what else I can do?
latte.the.hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 04:30 AM   #14 (permalink)

Any other ideas for what I can do? There are only 2 vets in my prefecture that will see hedgehogs. The one I've taken him to (4 times in the past month) just wants me to continue the baytril (liquid form). The other one I took him to prescribed amoxicillin (powdered form) but he didn't really seem to know what he was doing. Both hedgie and I are exhausted over this illness.
Old 11-07-2018, 01:23 PM   #15 (permalink)

Have you checked for drafts in his pen. Is it a plastic bin or wire sided.Is the air movement in the room blowing across the pen or down into it.Small drafts can cause ongoing health issues in some animals. You may not feel a draft but they might. Try using a candle flame to check for air currents at his level. Hope he gets better
belties is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2018, 08:38 AM   #16 (permalink)

This is an update for everyone that helped me with Pumpkin's care. He is doing SO much better. The URI stuck around for almost a solid 2 months. According to the vet, some hedgies heal quickly and some take longer. Thanks to a tip from yukidama's mama, I added his liquid baytril to his food instead of trying to feed it directly. He started improving greatly after that. We followed the vet's directions and finally stopped the meds 4 days ago. He's doing great; eating and wheeling up a storm. I really don't think I could have healed him without you guys! Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181118_175956214_1543408672271.jpg (91.0 KB, 8 views)
nikki likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in