Developing URI? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By milkiue

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2018, 11:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Developing URI?

Hello all, I have take care of a hedgie before, but she was much older and I lived in a much warmer environment.

Some background info on her:
The hedgie I currently have is 3 months old. When first brought her home she was very active and spent lots of time wheel running.
The breeders had her on some kind of hedgehog food, so when I got her I wanted to ween her off of that and onto a recommended cat food (unsure of what it is, I'm writing this while at work). She would not even touch the hedgehog food after introducing her to the cat food, which I thought might not be good for her, but she was pooping regularly and seemed fine with the sudden change.

The room I have her cage in fluctuates around 74F and 77F. I have a ceramic heat emitter that is connected to a thermostat and have it set to turn on at 75F and off at 80F, though I don't think it has ever actually turned on. I have yet to mess with it more. I keep her on a day/night cycle with the lights in the room. They go on at 7:30 AM before I leave for work and off around 8:30-9PM. I usually hear her waking up and drinking at around 10PM.

To my current situation:
She is not as active anymore first all.
She used to be a very enthusiastic eater (I give maybe 1Tbsp of dry cat food before she wakes up) and will eat everything but 2-3 pieces. Lately she will leave a good portion of her food.

She is using her wheel less frequently as well, I can hardly hear her running at night when I'm awake, and when I go to clean her wheel, there's significantly less "evidence" of running.

In the last few days I have taken her out for some bonding time (which generally includes quick warm foot bath for poopy boots, floor running/exploring time, and sitting on my stomach while watching some TV) I can hear her breathing. Her nose makes a popping sound like there's excess snot. If I watch I can see it bubble a little. She does sneeze sometimes.

I'm not 100% on warning signs of hedgie illness.
Maybe she's too cold? I read on the forums here that sometimes 74F is too cold for younger hedgies.
milkiue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2018, 02:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

Update:
I really wasn't sure if I should bring her to a vet or ride it out.. no one replied to my post.. so..
I decided to get her a check-up even though my funding was a bit low.
She did indeed have some respiratory issues, most likely because, even though I use CareFresh and wipe it down, she is reacting poorly to the dust amount.
Since then, I have switched her to fleece lining and am giving her antibiotics twice a day. Her activity has increased beack to what it was before the respitory issues!

Still would have appreciated some kind of second opinion however, it's a little discouraging from posting, haha..
Take care all.
milkiue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2018, 10:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Sorry that no one posted. It's a good thing you brought her to the vet. When in doubt it's best to take your hedgie to the vet.

Old 09-09-2018, 10:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Weird question does my post, right after the original post, not show up?

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2018, 11:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

No I don't see it Nikki ><

@milkiue, I'm glad you took her to the vet and she's got medication now for her URI. I'm using carefresh atm and do find it quite dusty when first putting it in my boys cage, it bothers both me and my partner so I'm sure it bothers the hedgie too. That was the white ultra, I think it's called... Last week I started a new bag of a multi colour carefresh pack and it's not at all dusty, the pieces are more flat than the white one. Although it is a pain to monitor any issues as its all a different colours!

I'm switching to natural substrate soon (Eco earth and playsand), he has it in his spare litter box and he loves to lay on it, flattens himself out on it so hoping he will prefer it and will still aid his digging needs! ^^ ~ anyways, in case fleece doesn't work out, the multi coloured carefresh wasn't dusty (maybe not 100%) or natural substrate might be a second option ~ if she isn't happy on fleece (shows digging and burrowing signs, like liner diving or scratching at the floor).

Hope she gets better soon too!
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
inactive, question, uri

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in